Do you think this is the last iPad Mini or 5 next year?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Appl3FTW, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

any thoughts? will this be the last ipad mini?

2. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

No, I don't think it will be the last...too convenient for trips...ipad air is just a tad bit too big and the next size down would be too small without it.

3. lionsy macrumors 6502

iPad sales may be down on the whole and the mini's updates may just be a single line at keynote presentations these days but I reckon that sales are enough to warrant the continued updates until sales of it dip below a certain point.

It's not as if Apple products in the past haven't got completely silent refreshes (recent iPod Touch for example) without mention at a keynote at all. The Mini has a long way to fall before it crashes on the rocks below!

4. Mivo macrumors regular

Mivo

I think it will depend on the sales of the Mini 4. Perhaps they are also moving away from those 9-12 month release cycles for the 9.7" models and Mini.

5. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

I think with so many different products now, the iPads may change to a two yearly cycle. I could see the mini and pro update one year and the following year the Air. If this does happen though, I would like to see the mini get the previous years A?X generation for longevity.

6. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

i was thinking of the same thing... so just like this year, the air 2 wasn't updated so the mini 4 equals the air 2. so it will be equal until next year when air 3 comes in and the mini 4 spec will be behind. then 2017 we'll see mini 5 that pairs up with the specs of air 3.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple will continue to change/update the iPads in their attempt to invigorate and revitalize the sales. I don't see the sales returning to what they were but I suspect Apple would be content to stop the sliding and stabilize the numbers.

I've not purchased an iPad in years, I just don't see the need, and that continues with the new iPad mini and iPad Pro. Unlike a phone, the iPad doesn't need to be the latest and greatest. I'm not sure what apple will do but doing nothing is not one of the options they're looking at imo.

8. onepoint macrumors 6502a

onepoint

The fact they released this one says to me they've analyzed the effects the Mini and 6+ have had on each other, and decided to keep the Mini in the lineup.

9. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

The fact the mini got no real mention would make you think maybe not

Rumours were this would be the last mini..will see

10. newellj macrumors 601

Either could be right. I would bet on the first quoted post, though. If the Mini were headed for history, I don't think we'd have seen the Mini 4 at all.

11. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

I hope not as I think the size is fantastic for on the go. It's why I've been tempted even with an air 2 and 6S plus on the way

12. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Apple sell millions of minis. I don't see it going anywhere but of course it isn't as big a seller as the likes of the iPhone so won't receive as much fanfare.

13. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

No. There are millions in use. No way Apple will nix their redheaded step child from the line up. Ill keep buying them with decent updates. Probably every 2 years, just enough to use up the Applecare.

14. newellj macrumors 601

People worried about the 6 Plus overlap. Hopefully we are beyond that.

15. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Yeah I think there was concern due to reports of the plus kind of replacing the mini for a lot of people

16. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I am sure Apple will keep on making Mini for 3rd World... They can't afford 9.7 inches iPad.

17. cloudystrife macrumors member

Why would Apple cede the market to Google and others?

18. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

I can't comment on what Apple will do or how they will manipulate their own market (as they always do) but where I am, most people who have iPads have the mini. Whether it is functionality (size mostly) or pricing, it is popular.

19. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

That's my experience as well, I see way more mini's just around. But professionally I see almost only full sized iPads.

20. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

Apple would cannibalize its own market rather than let competitors take it. As long as the market demands a mid-sized tablet, the iPad mini is going to exist.

21. Violafab macrumors member

Violafab

I don't think that the Mini 4 will be the last Mini. Furthermore I do not understand why people compare the Mini and iPhone 6 plus. I've got both and I think there's a massive difference between screen size.

22. Tapper123 macrumors member

Hope not. I love the Mini form factor. Need to see the 4 in person, and may buy one if the screen meets my standards.

23. newellj macrumors 601

Pretty clearly true. Apple didn't have any visible qualms about letting the iPhone slit the iPod's throat.

24. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

There is a massive difference: http://www.displaywars.com/5,5-inch-16x9-vs-7,9-inch-4x3

The screen area is more than double on the iPad Mini - 130% more to be exact.

25. Violafab macrumors member

Violafab