Do you think this is viable for raising funds?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by TaKashMoney, Mar 16, 2010.

1. TaKashMoney macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

As an independent filmmaker (really as any kind of artist), I am finding that one of the hardest aspects is raising the kind of capital to actually go out and make things. Even with the low costs of digital filmmaking, which we are all familiar with, making movies still costs a pretty penny. I stumbled on this site the other day and was wondering if you guys had heard of it. Do you think that online crowd-sourcing is viable? Here is a project I found that seemed to do a pretty good job of selling themselves ( http://tinyurl.com/yhn4pod ) but before I go and throw my own stuff on there, I was wondering what you guys thought. Do you think this could work? I guess there is not much harm trying it out. What about intellectual property? Do you guys think there is some risk in losing your idea by throwing it to the masses?

T

2. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Hmm.

I don't know why ANYBODY would give money to them, or you, for that matter.

Not trying to be harsh, but the chances of getting "funding" for something like that are slim to none.

Hey, I like taking pictures and want some more gear, would you throw a few bucks my way to let me take more pictures? I'll show them to you, I promise!:rolleyes:
    See, not a chance!

The best fund-raising strategy: WORK.
    -Get a crappy job and work as much as you can, then stay up late and bust-ass on the weekends to pursue your "independent film-making". Devote as much of your income as you can to your artistic passions.

Best of luck!

3. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

I'm not a fan of the concept. I'd liken it to begging, not to attach the negative connotations, but because I think of it as a last resort. I suppose it depends what your plans are — whether you're using this as stepping stone, or intend to keep making shorts for fun with no prospects of return — but there are probably more efficient ways to fund your projects.

As for the ideas-theft thing: it'd have to be a spectacular idea for me to worry about it being stolen. Most of your favourite movies probably revolve around similar themes — it's the execution that's of real value in almost all cases.