Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iFony83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2010
OK, so regarding the next iPhone, I'm planning on waiting outside the store on launch day like I did last year, (online ordering doesn't really work, my university gets packages mixed up like crazy, and I don't want that falling into the wrong hands.) OK so I'm on a family plan, me, my brother and the rents. My brother has the upgrade and a cheapo RAZR, so on launch day I'm going to head over the the apple store with his phone, then upgrade his line to the 4th gen, then scurry over to ATT and ask them to switch the data plan over back to me, and switch the 4th gen to my line, (I've done this in the past, no problem.) My question is, since I'm not home during the summer, I can't have the account holder with me, will there be any problems upgrading? I know the social and what not. Any chance of success? Thanks

vizkiz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Long Island, NY
OK, so regarding the next iPhone, I'm planning on waiting outside the store on launch day like I did last year, (online ordering doesn't really work, my university gets packages mixed up like crazy, and I don't want that falling into the wrong hands.) OK so I'm on a family plan, me, my brother and the rents. My brother has the upgrade and a cheapo RAZR, so on launch day I'm going to head over the the apple store with his phone, then upgrade his line to the 4th gen, then scurry over to ATT and ask them to switch the data plan over back to me, and switch the 4th gen to my line, (I've done this in the past, no problem.) My question is, since I'm not home during the summer, I can't have the account holder with me, will there be any problems upgrading? I know the social and what not. Any chance of success? Thanks

Go to an Apple store and ask what they require for you to be able to upgrade without the account holder there.
They may say you can't do it. They may say you need a copy of the account holders license and a signed note authorizing you to be allowed to upgrade without them present.

thelordnyax

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2008
You may be able to get your mom/dad/whomever the account holder is to just call AT&T ahead of time, and give you permission to make changes to the account...
maybe AT&T won't even care and they'll just let you do it since you know the SSN and stuff...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.