Do you think Tim Cook will bring about the features we've been asking for faster?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Calidude, Dec 28, 2011.

?

Do you think Tim Cook will bring about the features we've been asking for faster?

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    21.1%
  2. No

75 vote(s)
    78.9%
  1. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

Filesystem, Integrated Messaging and Contacts, Redesigned task switching method, a Camera app that isn't basic, sharing information between phones via NFC, and many of the things possible with Jailbreaking...

Basically everything Steve Jobs would dole out bit by bit; do you think Cook will start to really ladle it out to us hungry iPhone users to combat the Android Skynet menace?

2. matttye macrumors 601

Nope. That would alienate their customers and harm their business model.

Apple releases a major upgrade and then small upgrades for a couple of years so they can milk their customers. ;)

3. Thai4s macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

No because their method of giving us things in little bits has been working extremely well. Why change it?

4. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

Apple's camera app is anything but basic. Have you tried using Blackberry? While Instagram is still my go-to option, the native camera is far above anything else I've used as a native app.

That being said, I don't care what the phone does or does not have as long as it has 4G LTE capability.

5. Calidude thread starter macrumors 68000

Calidude

Um because increasing that rate would deter competition.

I mean, really, did we have to wait for iOS 5 to press the volume button to take a picture?

6. matttye macrumors 601

Hey iOS 1 couldn't even forward a text message or send to multiple recipients. The only way to send a message to more than one person was to retype it! We didn't get that luxury for several versions.

"revolutionary" but only in places :D

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The idea that Apple was some sort of personal hobby for Jobs, rather than a multi-billion dollar international company, has always been a bit of a fairy tale. It never had much basis in reality, and it looks like Jobs' death is only causing people to believe it more in hindsight.

It wasn't true then, and thus the conclusions you've drawn about how things have "changed" now are not accurate either.

It's fun to pretend that he invented the iPhone all by himself...working late into the night and yelling at anyone who dared oppose his vision. But that's really just the cartoon version. It's not reality.

8. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I think Tim Cook was chosen for a reason. I am sure he saw mostly eye to eye with Jobs, maybe not on everything, but I am sure a most things.

Also even if he didn't, he probably wouldn't want to rock the boat too early. If the current business model is successful, don't "fix" it.

When the time is right, and if he sees things he wants to change I am sure he'll take it piece by piece.

9. labman macrumors 604

labman

Tim Cook was picked for a reason. He was making decisions long before SJ passed away. Not like he woke up shouting I am now King. He has a board and stock holders to answer to. Reality is as long as Apple is making Billions don't expect them to rock the boat. ;)

10. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

LOL you basically wrote what I wrote at nearly the same time.

11. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Apple is not alone at the top anymore. But there is only so much anyone can do. I am looking forward to a new iPad first and then worry about the new iPhone 4GS.

12. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

The real question is if TC is more receptive to new ideas and *major* market trends. Jobs (and others) have missed the boat a few times, he admitted it himself too. He was very stubborn and reluctant to do things he did not envisions but ultimately proved successful, after all he was not the internet.

As people become used to the abilities of smartphones, the best way to keep them is constantly added new little features, more Ohh, Ahh stuff, that will keep them glued to it.

13. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

While I wouldn't specifically say basic. I would say the camera app is lacking in a lot of features.

I don't think any blackberry is on the same level or even close to an iPhone, so saying the iPhone camera app is better doesn't say much.

14. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

What people dont seem to understand on this forum is that the iPhone is not catered towards us tech geeks, nerds, or whatever else you want to call us. We are an extreme minority of iPhone users compared to the rest of the world using iPhones. The iPhone is the #1 best selling smartphone in the world for many, many reasons. It's simplicity is one of the main reasons. The features listed by the OP are features other manufacturers have crammed down your throats just to try and differentiate themselves from the iPhone so they can say, "hey, look, we have these features and the iPhone doesn't!" If Apple catered to us, just like other manufacturers have, then they wouldn't be in the position they are in. There will never be a file system for the users, the camera app is spectacular as is for the "normals", the vast majority of US users have no idea what NFC is and task switching is easy enough with a double tap of the home button (or 4 finger swipe on the iPad) and touch the app.

The key phrase to sum this thread up is simply, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

15. macinnv macrumors regular

I doubt you'll see change fast. Im even skeptical about claims saying the screen size will increase or LTE.

16. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

Couldn't agree more. It's ironic how many techies are Apple fanboys, when, if you understand the history of Apple, all their products were designed for the everyday user. "It just works." Hell, the company was founded on the idea making computers available and usable for the masses. And for the most part, they've never strayed from it.

My mom suffered with an Android phone for the last 2 years. Hated it. Never was comfortable with the UI or downloading apps. Got an iPhone 4S over Thanksgiving and hasn't look backed. She's done more with the iPhone in a month than she was able to do with an Android phone in 2 years. That's the power of Apple.

17. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    I agree.

I disagree. Those features are quite useful, and I bet that many will eventually filter onto future iPhone versions... just as many other features have already done so over the years.

It's just silly to think that the current version has everything that's needed. It was silly four years ago when there was no MMS, video or multitasking, and it'll still be so a decade from now.

18. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

There's no doubt that some features on Android phones are useful. But all they are are dressed up functionalities that the iPhone can do already. NFC will happen eventually but only when it's more widely adopted by stores nationwide and not just in Silicon Valley and Japan. Apple doesnt want to put a product in millions od peoples hands with a hardware function that barely anyone can Use. I'm skeptical on widgets because while you have to swipe to different screens to get to a widget on an Android phone, you can tap an app on the iPhone and get the same info. Having toggle switches in the Notification Center would be nice, yes, and I'm betting that functionality will come. I think the whole notification center will get a revamp. It's kinda half baked and rushed as is IMO.

There's no doubt that more functions and features will come to the iPhone and iOS but only after they're refined to the point where they seem a part of the OS instead of tacked on like Android.

19. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

File system? Really? Isn't that what stinks about PCs? Honestly I love never having to spend my time sifting through files. I do enough of that at work.

20. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

According to jobs iCloud solves the file system thing. No more file system in future OSes

21. trajen macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I hope he does. He seems like less of an ******* than Jobs.

22. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

23. DanteMann macrumors 6502

Who knows, but one thing is for certain; whatever he (Apple) decides, the loyalists well welcome with open arms.

The customers who don't put high expectations on their brand of choice, and just accept what is introduced to them by that brand, will be the downfall of said brand. - Baleed Dat

24. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

You assume that only Cook or Jobs are the ones designing an iPhone. It is a huge team of designers, engineers and programmers working to deliver your demands.

25. Calidude thread starter macrumors 68000

Calidude

And I don't think its out of the realm of possibility that with a new CEO, iOS will start to have more than what we have expected in the past few years.