Do you think tommorrows cutoff of the 'reservations' will help?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by egeek84, Sep 12, 2014.

1. egeek84, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2014

egeek84 macrumors 6502

egeek84

Hey so I noticed today that I got like 3 emails telling me that I can now complete my order for the iPhone 6. Last night as I was trying to make it through the checkout process, at multiple times it told me that it was going to reserve an iPhone for me and then gave me a reservation number.

Well todays emails say if I still want the phone, I have to complete the order by tommorrow morning at 9am pst. But the thing is, the phones aren't even in the color or size I wanted, I was just trying to make it as far ahead as I could last night so I could just see a phone in my cart and then change it later on to what I wanted which people were recommending worked.

Well i'm sure tons of others got the same reservation message and then emails today and like me, probably eventually were able to place an order after enough persistence and likely wont be completing any more orders so do you think once those reservations fall through, they could bump up the people who have Oct 1-6 ETAs? After all, these reservations technically held peoples spots in line which means if they forfeit the reservations, those iPhones go back into Apples inventory.

EDIT - heres the email to help explain what im talking about [​IMG]

2. residenteric macrumors newbie

3. egeek84 thread starter macrumors 6502

egeek84

ya lol dont know how......i think cuz i was trying different phone numbers? i have 3 lines on my account.

4. residenteric macrumors newbie

Still haven't been able to finish my reservation. I don't think I have the patience to stay up all night until 9am PST to try. This is so lame.

5. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Reservations are all over the place. After trying Apple's website and FINALLY getting through about an hour and a half later, I kept getting told that upgrades are not availabe in my area... whatever the F$%^ that means... I ordered from AT&T and got an email with blank info immediately (space for order number, delivery estimate, tax charged, but nothing else). The following morning I get a confirmation that it's 21+ days out... so I call to cancel and they can;t find it even with the numbers I read back to them.

They said they would call me back (not really expecting a call back, truth be told) when they confirmed a cancellation.

Oh well... guess I take two days off work and just bang this out like I end up doing every year. Was looking forward to just arriving home from work to a package (that my wife signed for). :(

6. egeek84, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2014

egeek84 thread starter macrumors 6502

egeek84

What Apple really should have done is a queueing system similar to how ATT did it. That way, you don't have to deal with page errors halfway through the order process and then forced to restart over and over.

Eventbrite also does the queue system and when I bought my Blizzcon tickets earlier this year, it went by very smooth.

Rather than letting everyone through the floodgates, they should stagnate the orders and have an auto refreshing waiting page for those in line, kinda similar to how Apple does it in their actual retail stores where they let only a few people into the store to buy their new iphones at a time while the rest wait outside in line.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I have no experience with a queing system online (that I am aware of) so I will take your word for it.

I do know that what they should have done is anything BUT what they did do. I am not going to sit and cry I didn't get a phone reserved, but I really would expect Apple to get it together by now many degrees beyond what they have done on this launch and launches past. I won't even go into asking why on earth the system was up minutes before the midnight mark, thus allowing those who sat refreshing their pages (straining the server unnecessarily) early. This launch was run in a fashion as if they had no idea they would be getting traffic like this, which is just baffling.