Do you think we will see 10.7 intro at WWDC 10?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by appleguy123, Sep 5, 2009.

1. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Just wondering what your thoughts were on this. I don't think Apple would spend nearly two years working on just snow leopard! I personally think it will be. WHat do you think will be in 10.7 (for the 100th time I know.)

2. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

If history is any judge, I think we'll see 10.7 Cougar/Lynx at WWDC '10. That would make the announcement roughly 9 Months, 10 Days (August 28, 2009 to June 7, 2010) after 10.6 Snow Leopard shipped. This would be in line with all previous Mac OS X successor announcements.

I expect 10.7 will be a "Spring 2011" release like 10.4 Tiger. Maybe around April 29, 2011 — roughly some 20 months after Snow Leopard.

Attached Files:

3. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

I think it will be sooner than that becuase i bet that snow leopard is like a release to stop people from saying that there has not been a release in 3 years. I bet Apple has been working on 10.7 since Leopard and it will be great!

4. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

That's wishful thinking. Although reviews of Snow Leopard have been mixed, I don't expect Apple to push up the release of 10.7 simply because of Snow Leopard's lackluster marketing appeal. They just don't have the engineering resources to work on two or three operating systems (Mac OS X, iPhone OS and Tablet OS) concurrently at full capacity.

A massive amount of engineering resources would be required if you think they'll ship a Tablet, a new iPhone OS and a new Mac OS X update in 2010.

The new iPhone OS is a given, and likely the debut of the Tablet is also.

5. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

wasn't the tablet almost a given back a few years ago?

6. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Not really. There's something Tablet-like coming from Apple in the near future. I've never seen rumors ramp up about a future Apple product like they have about the Apple Tablet since the months before the iPhone announcement.

Back to 10.7, I hope these features make a comeback:

1. Resolution Independence (It actually got worse in Snow Leopard.)
    2. System-wide Touch (Where are you? Windows 7 has it built-in.)
    3. ZFS or new Apple file system (Time Machine needs you badly.)
    4. Marble (We need a unified UI.)
    5. Original concept of Stacks as Virtual Folders (Bring back the Stacks feature that was originally demoed where Stacks acted as a virtual folder for any set of random items in the Finder. Let saved Spotlight searches become Stacks also.)

Other wishes:

1. Revamped Display preferences with built-in Plex-like overscan adjustment for HDTVs and better resolution detection. (Snow Leopard has made an attempt, but more work is needed.)
    2. System-wide Media Sharing. (Using the Sharing preference pane instead of requiring iTunes or iPhoto to be open. DLNA certification with built-in media transcoding would be nice also.)
    3. Bring back QuickTime Pro X, drop the ability to install QuickTime 7. (And drop the $30 charge for Pro X.)
    4. Refine the 3D Dock so it doesn't take up as much space both vertically and horizontally.
    5. Fix iCal so you don't have to launch Inspector or Get Info to adjust events.
    6. Put contextual services back like the Snow Leopard beta seeds where they mimic the new Services menu complete with organization and application icons.
    7. Officially support AirPort Extreme AirDisk drives as Time Machine backup drives with built-in formatting accessible from AirPort Utility. Add disk repair functions (from Disk Utility) to both Time Capsule and AirPort Extreme to fix minor disk problems with internal (Time Capsule) and external (AirPort Extreme) AirDisks.
    8. More integration between iCal, Mail and Address Book (Dare I say combine them a la Microsoft Outlook?).

7. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

I would love all of those! but if marble is anything like this you can count me out! [​IMG]

8. darbyclash34 macrumors regular

I very much doubt it will look anything like Logic. The Logic development team has always been the odd bunch in the Apple product line. That and to some degree Final Cut.

9. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

some people can't get enough :)

anyways it might be early but not that early

10. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

One is Aperture one is Logic Pro both have the same theme with the Aperture brought by a free software update.