Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
I don't really use Animoji on my iPhone X because it's inconvenient and not really useful. But I just realized how much I would use it on Apple Watch.

Right now, responding to messages on the Apple Watch is pretty hard or awkward because the form factor is so small. But if you could use Animoji to respond to messages on the watch, that would actually be great. Hopefully Apple will make an Animoji that is like its typical Emoji (circular yellow face).You could show that you understand a message by nodding your head. You could show that something was funny by smiling or opening your mouth and leaning up while laughing. This would be such a perfect way to respond to messages quickly on the Apple Watch. Ideally, you wouldn't have to even change the position of your watch from reading the message to responding to it (maybe blink twice for Animoji).

Do you think this will ever come to the Watch? Would you want it on the Watch too? Is it physically possible to affordably miniaturize the TrueDepth hardware even more? I would also hope that it sits in the metal part of the watch and doesn't take up screen real estate (when you raise the watch to read a notification you usually would give this area a view of your face).

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
You could say you understand by scribbling yes no or lol, whilst I agree the watch isn’t great for responding simple responses like that aren’t a problem.
I don’t believe Apple will ever put true depth or a camera on the watch. The camera is a privacy disaster waiting to happen, think gym changing rooms etc.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
You could say you understand by scribbling yes no or lol, whilst I agree the watch isn’t great for responding simple responses like that aren’t a problem.
I don’t believe Apple will ever put true depth or a camera on the watch. The camera is a privacy disaster waiting to happen, think gym changing rooms etc.
Yeah I don’t ever want user access to the feed from the front facing camera to be available(not even for FaceTime of Selfies). This wouldn’t be hard to control because AFAIK there isn’t really a way to modify the of the watch in a way Apple doesn’t approve of.

But I think it’s quicker to pull my iPhone out of my pocket and type when I have to make a non-generated response. Even something like lol takes less time to just pull out the phone, force press the message and type. Blinking twice and making a smile/laughing face would be quicker than typing and more personal to the recipient and probably would sell more Apple Watches because people want to respond this way(I don’t want to respond this way on the X because it takes way too many steps and isn’t that intuitive).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.