Do you think we'll ever see true resolution independence on iOS devices

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhoney:), Sep 10, 2010.

1. iPhoney:) macrumors member

I dream of the day when a developer can create an app that looks just as good on an iPad as it does on an iPhone, no more having to purchase two versions of the same software! For me this mainly apples to games.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Yes,

Apple already offers Universal Apps, but developers don't utilize it because they want to be able to charge you $.99 for an iPhone app and $4.99 for an iPad app (for the same app).

[​IMG]

3. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Blame some greedy developers, tweetdeck, IM+, Waze, Pandora, RewmotepRo, Netflix, Google app, Evernote, Dragon dictations, Ghost Radar, to name a few are Universal Application that you buy just once and they look as incredible on iPad HD than on the iPhone.

I got beejive on my iphone and it pissed me off that they want me to pay again for the iPad version, I should have gotten IM+ :mad:

4. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Good question, particularly as it pertains to Apple eventually putting a full iOS on the AppleTV. Is a universal app resolution switching up to the task of configuring itself for such a wide range of displays?

5. PhazonUK macrumors 6502

Me too (but the other way around)!! I then later found out then using the FullForce tweak with the iPhone version of Beejive worked just fine! I could of had Beejive on both but I went and purchased the iPad version.
    I think it's ridiculous that they are even allowed 2 versions of their apps. But then again Apple make even more money if they have an iPad and iPhone version.

6. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

That's not resolution independence. They've just compiled the app for two resolutions - iPad or iPhone. That's a far cry from "true resolution independence", where it could run on any resolution.

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

That's not resolution independence. technically any of the iPhone apps can run on any resolution they just look bad. An example of resolution independence would be an interface element that is described as a percentage of the displays height rather than a specific height in pixels. That way it displays at the same size without being told how to display on specific resolutions.

8. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

Universal Apps ARE BAD. They take useless amount of space (including iPad material on the iPhone and vice versa).. Takes a long time to install.

9. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

I for one like universal apps.

Side note: why the big bold letters? LOL

10. gage006 macrumors regular

gage006

Same. If there's an app that does the same thing and one is universal and the other isn't..guess which one I'm more inclined to buy. And takes more time to install? Now you're just looking for something to complain about. You install it once and it's done.

11. admanimal macrumors 68040

The main problem with 100% resolution independence is that it essentially means that all graphics in the app have to be vector based. This is fine for most system UI elements like buttons and toolbars, etc. but doesn't work so well when you're trying to do really detailed bitmap icons and such.

12. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

X-Plane HDEF-4G may be an example of why this is a bad idea: "...has all the resolution and power and graphics of the iPad compressed onto the 4". The iPhone users complain the graphics are too small. Conversely, the assumption is an app that looks good on an iPhone would be so large on an iPad you could use your elbows.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/x-plane-hdef-4g/id380872432?mt=8