Do you think we'll have issues with the usb-c ports?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marc55, Jul 3, 2017.

1. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

Do you think we will have issues with the usb-c ports in our 2016/2017 MB's?

If you look at the connection the usb-c cable plugs into, it looks like a thin card, and my concern is how well it will hold up to constant use?

Thoughts?

2. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Rated for 10k insertions if compliant with USB specs

3. jerryk macrumors 68030

I have not heard about the USB-C connections and cables failing on Android phones which have used them for 3+ years

4. Nilhum macrumors regular

Nilhum

It's like any port and luckily you have four. Why would it degrade any faster than USB-A or even lightning. Ports usually outlast the device themselves. Nothing to worry about. And even if they did wear out the ports are not part of the logic board so you can open it up yourself and replace it for quite a cheap price when the time comes.

5. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

Yes, we will: eventually. However, I expect to get a much longer service life from USB-C connectors than we have with previous USB-A, USB-micro/Mini, FW800, Mini DisplayPort, eSATA, MagSafe, Lightning, and ethernet ports. USB Mini and Micro have developed USB a very bad reputation because they fail young, carry a laughably low amount of power, have poor service lives, and if plugged in upside down have a tendency of destroying not only the cable but the power port on the device itself - USB-C is the redeeming solution to those garbage ports. The USB IF thought this one through very well, and has placed longevity at the heart of USB-C's design.

One thing I am curious about is whether the metal Apple uses on the plugs are softer than the metal surrounding the port on the computer. My assumption is this is probably the case, to place greater (both physical and cosmetic) wear on the plug than the port, resulting in a cable replacement instead of having to replace internal components.

6. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

1431993239064.jpg

I don't think you're likely to have any issues. I've got a 25 year old laptop at home and the ports still work fine on that. Even if they do fail, the computer will probably be long gone by that time or you'll be here waiting for 'new' processors before you upgrade.

7. Fishrrman macrumors G4

The question of "longevity" re the USB-c port can't be answered yet.

Ask it again after 4-5 years have passed.