Do you think we'll see a redesigned iMac in 2016?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jtsang777, Jan 2, 2016.

?

Do you think we'll see a redesigned iMac this year for 2016?

Poll closed Jan 30, 2016.
  1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    26.8%
  2. No

41 vote(s)
    73.2%
  1. jtsang777 macrumors member

It has been 2012 since its redesign. So perhaps we'll see a redesign this year?

2. Sulinari macrumors newbie

Sulinari

Thats also my problem. I want to buy iMac 27" 5k... but I am not sure if it is right decision... I heard rumors that late 2016 imac will get usb-c port so extended new monitor from apple would be connected with 1 cable... Those are rumors but still... pain in the ass :(((

Any help? :D

3. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

Well, it can't really get thinner (watch Ive prove me wrong) but I would expect the giant bezels to shrink a bit. Other than that I'm not sure what they could redesign really...

4. MadDane macrumors 6502a

Do you need a new computer right now? If yes, then buy now. If no, then wait.
    I can tell you that I have heard rumors that ThunderBolt 4 is on its way. As well as a redesign to the next redesign. And a new USB standard. And a better display, faster RAM and better graphics card! :D

5. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

Generally no matter what date it is you should always wait for next year's revision because it will be better ;)

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think we'll see anything major, there's not much else that can be done.

7. MacGizmo macrumors 6502a

MacGizmo

Visually:

They could reduce the bezels around the screen area, but that would mean they were increasing the screen size—and I don't see them doing that. They aren't going to just remove that space without filling it with something.

They could add an adjustable stand... which would be a much-appreciated feature. But I can't see them doing that either.

They could add better speakers, but the existing ones are pretty damn good for the average consumer who doesn't need/want to spend money on external speakers.

The only visual change I can see them making is port changes on the back.

Internally:

Storage. Bigger/faster SSDs.

Speed-bumped processors and video cards.

Wish List:

I wish they would allow me to upgrade the video card on the mid-range models.

It would be great to have one or two more USB3 ports.

8. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

I think they will redesign the iMac this year with reduced bezels.

I'd love a 34" size, but I suppose they'll keep the current ones. They might bring out a 30", as they used to offer a 30" Cinema Display. I do wish they would offer an integrated optical drive. DVDs are so much cheaper than iTunes, and I will be using them for decades to come, unless Apple introduces iTunes Match for video.

9. Trahearne macrumors 6502

Probably just picking up new graphics cards (16/14nm, Nvidia Pascal or AMD Polaris) and rolling TB3/USB-C.

10. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Definately! So twice the gpu power and less heat. And let's hope the reduced bezels, it just doesn't look right on the 21" iMac. And when TB3 is standard, matching external displays!

11. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

Can't see an integrated optical drive happening after years without it. USB-C most probably. But I haven't seen a single USB-C device in my life yet...

12. blurfonz04 macrumors newbie

blurfonz04

13. karatekidk macrumors regular

I wish the screen is height adjustable at least!

14. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

15. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

2012 was the redesign. If a redesign was happening soon, they would have done it when they launched the Retina iMac. Not to mention the fact the Retina iMac is already on the edge of thermal limits.

16. laudern macrumors 6502a

17. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

internal components yes, but as for visual looks I doubt it, I'd say another year or two away yet.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The days of optical drives in Macs are long gone, you'll never see apple go backwards and given today's push for more streaming services, an optical drive is viewed as a step backwards.

19. MacGizmo macrumors 6502a

MacGizmo

They already do. They offer the external SuperDrive which is integrated with a USB cable. All ya gotta do is integrate one end of the USB cable with the USB port on the back of your iMac ;)

20. sunapple macrumors 6502a

sunapple

Not sure what the point would be. Previous new iMac design were the result of:

- adding LCD screens (G4)
    - possibility to drastically slim down (G5)
    - new materials (2007)
    - 16:9 screen ratio (2009)
    - removing SuperDrive (2012)

Retina didn't need a new design, apparently.

My best guess is a low end 'experimental' iMac like the MacBook which will be extremely thin as a result of a fanless design. But that would probably be another vision for the future rather than a mainstream product.

21. MacRazySwe macrumors 6502a

Can't see it happening in 2016. Last year we got the 4K iMac as well as upgraded 5K models, not to mention the new Magic Keyboard and new Force-Touch trackpad. If a brand new iMac would have been even remotely close at that point, I have a sense Apple would have saved these new accessories till the release of the new version.

I think a new design is probably a year away at least.

22. MacGizmo macrumors 6502a

MacGizmo

I would guess even more than a year away. Other than internal updates, and possible port changes, I'm not sure I can even imagine what they could do to "completely redesign" the iMac.

A Gold or Space Gray iMac, anyone?!

23. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

I really don't see the point of even thinner iMac – but I didn't see the point of current thinness either. Helps with planned obsolescence, I suppose. And imagine a €2199 8mm thin iMac with Core M processor in Space Gray!

24. sunapple macrumors 6502a

sunapple

More like €1199 I think. We currently have a 2007 iMac 20" which could easily be replaced be such a machine.

Question is; is it also going to last 8+ years? Probably not.