Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nbnbxdnb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
I was on Yosemite beta for about a month. I opted in because I was excited about the new features. I like the new look and many features that I don't need repeat here. But, whatever potentials it has, it still has some annoying bugs that prevent me from using it. That is why I reinstalled 10.9 at the breaking dawn of public release–I never thought I would do this as being a long-time believer of OS X.

So for the bugs:
1. Bluetooth: I use wireless keyboard, trackpad made by Apple and a Pioneer sound bar with my mac. If I turned off the laptop (not sleep) or carried it outside, I would most likely have a hard time to reconnect my wireless accessories with my mac. However, I can reconnect them with no problem, if I restarted the accessories. After I restored to Mavericks, I never had this problem again. So it seems to me the problem is on Yosemite not accessories.
2. Wifi connection: I have 2 routers at home. One is from FiOS and the other is Airport express. They are not separated far away. I use airport express because I want to connect it to a printer thru USB. Yosemite always had problem to detect both hotspots. Say if I switched to a diff router, my experience tells me WiFi on 10.10 wouldn't find it. Many times, I need wait for a few minutes or just do it manually. Problem gone after restored to 10.9.
3. Apple Mail: I use Gmail and Me.com in Apple Mail. I don't remember if it was the first day I installed 10.10 beta and found the issue with Junk Mail Filter. In 10.10 beta, junk mails sent to Me.com were not censored by stock mail app at all, even though the settings for junk mail remained untouched. None of the junk mails filtered in 10.9 ever got marked out and moved to Junk folder in 10.10. Same as bluetooth bug, Mail started to filter immediately after 10.9 was restored.

These are just the bugs I experienced. I love Yosemite, or I wouldn't download beta 2 to main drive. But it has been bittersweet. What do you guys think? Has 10.10 beta/dev been smooth enough for you? Will you upgrade to public release immediately?

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
When did you install Yosemite, which version (DPX, GMX or PBX) and when did you go back to Mavericks?

gamesetmatch

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Palm Springs, CA, USA
IMO, no.

Fact: Apple seems to be in a downward spiral. When they released iOS 8, a flurry of bugs appeared. They even had to push forward some of the expected features for an upcoming release. Yosemite went to several public and developer iterations, and they are still trying to fix bugs.

As a matter of fact, uncertainty remains about the release date. Maybe tomorrow? Who knows? Time will tell.

People got confused about the way Photos were organized in iOS 8, and most people had to delete or wipe up their iPhones to upgrade to the operating system. But the photos were there.

Being one of most valuable brands in the world, haven't they conducted a survey about what models do people own? If they have an 8 Gb phone, and and OTA update needs nearly 5 Gb, haven't they taken these people into account?

Maybe that's one of the reasons of the not-so-expected adoption rates for iOS 8.

Instead of setting a tight timeline, why do they need to rush to release feature-unfinished software?

Why can't Apple wait a little longer instead of releasing yearly updates?

Then, the iOS 8.0.1 fiasco. And the so-called BendGate. Apologies and a hot fix.

And today, they inadvertently leaked some internal info about the new iPads in the iOS USer Guide. Awkward.

Something strange is going on. Maybe bad timing. Maybe bad quality control. Who knows.

Being that said, I am a strong Apple fan, but during the past years, the quality of its products has decreased.

Here's hoping that the final OS X Yosemite and the update to iOS 8 prove *snappiness* and better battery life, as all of us are expecting.

*keeping fingers crossed*.

Just my two cents.

-Mark.

nbnbxdnb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
When did you install Yosemite, which version (DPX, GMX or PBX) and when did you go back to Mavericks?

I installed the public beta 2 immediately after it rolled out, and kept using it until yesterday, when I decided to restore to a 10.9.4 backup from Time Machine. During the time on Yosemite, I even did a clean install of beta 4 to investigate into the issues I had. But nothing got better until I went back to 10.9.

----------

Depends on if you are in the mass public.

I am definitely on the average side. Though I don't regret trying the new things boldly, I think I will wait on this until 10.10.1 at least.

nbnbxdnb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
IMO, no.

Fact: Apple seems to be in a downward spiral. When they released iOS 8, a flurry of bugs appeared. They even had to push forward some of the expected features for an upcoming release. Yosemite went to several public and developer iterations, and they are still trying to fix bugs.

As a matter of fact, uncertainty remains about the release date. Maybe tomorrow? Who knows? Time will tell.

People got confused about the way Photos were organized in iOS 8, and most people had to delete or wipe up their iPhones to upgrade to the operating system. But the photos were there.

Being one of most valuable brands in the world, haven't they conducted a survey about what models do people own? If they have an 8 Gb phone, and and OTA update needs nearly 5 Gb, haven't they taken these people into account?

Maybe that's one of the reasons of the not-so-expected adoption rates for iOS 8.

Instead of setting a tight timeline, why do they need to rush to release feature-unfinished software?

Why can't Apple wait a little longer instead of releasing yearly updates?

Then, the iOS 8.0.1 fiasco. And the so-called BendGate. Apologies and a hot fix.

And today, they inadvertently leaked some internal info about the new iPads in the iOS USer Guide. Awkward.

Something strange is going on. Maybe bad timing. Maybe bad quality control. Who knows.

Being that said, I am a strong Apple fan, but during the past years, the quality of its products has decreased.

Here's hoping that the final OS X Yosemite and the update to iOS 8 prove *snappiness* and better battery life, as all of us are expecting.

*keeping fingers crossed*.

Just my two cents.

-Mark.

Completely agree with your points on iOS8. I have been using iPhone for years since 3GS. But I had a good look at stock photo app wondering why the hell camera roll disappeared on me... Luckily I had auto backup of photo stream on Aperture. Now I still can't connect my iPhone/ipad (both iOS8) to iTunes (on 10.9.4) over wifi. I have seen other people who upgraded iOS8 have the same issue.
I am worrying that they may rush yosemite as they did with iOS 8. But yosemite is going to be a much more sophisticated platform and more vulnerable to bugs, since Apple can't just wall up OS X as they do with iOS and users can do much more modification system wise or app wise to make things even more complicated. There is a good chance that they will fix some more bugs between now and public release. I believe the problems I experienced would affect user's day-to-day activity, so at least, they should be fixed before public release sees the light. Or there will be another wave of complains of this gate that gate. I have persuaded people to adopt mac and iOS by showing them the user friendly features and relatively strong reliability of Apple products–my grandpa learned using iPad in 15 mins and has been having fun with it ever since then. So I really don't want to see any decline in their reliability.

RobFog

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2012
[…]Fact: Apple seems to be in a downward spiral.[…]
In a German forum I frequent a certain phrase is often used in a humorous tone: "das scheint Fakt" which roughly translates to "that seems to be a fact" – point being: "fact" and "seem" don’t go well together. ;)

joecool99

Suspended
Aug 20, 2008
USA
I was on Yosemite beta for about a month. I opted in because I was excited about the new features. I like the new look and many features that I don't need repeat here. But, whatever potentials it has, it still has some annoying bugs that prevent me from using it. That is why I reinstalled 10.9 at the breaking dawn of public release–I never thought I would do this as being a long-time believer of OS X.

So for the bugs:
1. Bluetooth: I use wireless keyboard, trackpad made by Apple and a Pioneer sound bar with my mac. If I turned off the laptop (not sleep) or carried it outside, I would most likely have a hard time to reconnect my wireless accessories with my mac. However, I can reconnect them with no problem, if I restarted the accessories. After I restored to Mavericks, I never had this problem again. So it seems to me the problem is on Yosemite not accessories.
2. Wifi connection: I have 2 routers at home. One is from FiOS and the other is Airport express. They are not separated far away. I use airport express because I want to connect it to a printer thru USB. Yosemite always had problem to detect both hotspots. Say if I switched to a diff router, my experience tells me WiFi on 10.10 wouldn't find it. Many times, I need wait for a few minutes or just do it manually. Problem gone after restored to 10.9.
3. Apple Mail: I use Gmail and Me.com in Apple Mail. I don't remember if it was the first day I installed 10.10 beta and found the issue with Junk Mail Filter. In 10.10 beta, junk mails sent to Me.com were not censored by stock mail app at all, even though the settings for junk mail remained untouched. None of the junk mails filtered in 10.9 ever got marked out and moved to Junk folder in 10.10. Same as bluetooth bug, Mail started to filter immediately after 10.9 was restored.

These are just the bugs I experienced. I love Yosemite, or I wouldn't download beta 2 to main drive. But it has been bittersweet. What do you guys think? Has 10.10 beta/dev been smooth enough for you? Will you upgrade to public release immediately?

obviously NOT since it was not released

bjet767

Suspended
Oct 2, 2010
"Fact: Apple seems to be in a downward spiral. "

Wow what a broad brush and a limited memory.

I go back to the days of the Motorola chip CPU and the little bomb which would appear when a program crashed. No they, Apple, are not in a downward spiral a all. The apple products are more robust than ever and also more complex. Each OS release adds more features, capabilities and requires more hardware capability.

If you went back to just the iPhone 3 and compared it to the current model, 6, most would wonder how they lived in those days.

Oh and don't forget about the first Air, remember how great a product that was!

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
If you went back to just the iPhone 3 and compared it to the current model, 6, most would wonder how they lived in those days.

I'm the exception. First generation iPhone, refurbished, a gift. CalDAV and CardDAV clients would be nice for occasional use, but I live – happily – without them.

Compare:
  • having something in mind
  • amassing many things (typically too many things) in an electronic calendar, in a device that a person might feel lost without.
For anyone who wonders how I'll live in this day: I have a mental note to provide an update tomorrow :cool:

Razer(x)

macrumors regular
May 7, 2014

Glad to see i'm not the only one thinking so.

Job's main concern was simplicity, that's one of the reason he released just a few models.

Now there's the iPad, iPad Air, iPad Mini etc, they're losing focus

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
Most likely not. The backlash and complaints should be very entertaining.

michael-jackson-eating-popcorn-o.gif

netcastle

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2007
Fact: Apple seems to be in a downward spiral.

"Fact: Apple seems...

Can you see the irony in the above statement. Really, you sound foolish.

Look back several years and every single product rollout has had a number of glitches. Also, look back at other major software vendor rollouts (Adobe, I'm looking at you; Google, you too) and see how smooth those went. Here are some real facts:

Fact: no other company offers the level of integration that apple does.

Fact: Apple is the most popular company in the world. This means more inevitable bugs, more people to complain about them, and more press to magnify those complaints.

So go ahead an complain away. Join the chorus. But here is one last a real fact: you are not objective enough to make the claims you do.

Pentad

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2003
Indiana

Here are some real facts:

Fact: no other company offers the level of integration that apple does.

Fact: Apple is the most popular company in the world. This means more inevitable bugs, more people to complain about them, and more press to magnify those complaints.

So go ahead an complain away. Join the chorus. But here is one last a real fact: you are not objective enough to make the claims you do.

Silly fan boy...

Could you provide emperical data to support your facts? I especially want to see you prove that Apple is the most popular company in the world.

I'm not sure you understand the word "fact".

BTW, your kook-aid is getting warm. :roll eyes:

Planey28

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Birmingham, UK
Yes, the public beta works almost perfectly. Time machine is still pretty buggy when browsing (really don't know how they've overlooked this), but apart from that I've noticed no problems.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
if lion could be released as it was...yosemite is more than ready. some bugs? yes...there are always some bugs.

but stable, and mostly great here....

nope7308

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Silly fan boy...

Could you provide emperical data to support your facts? I especially want to see you prove that Apple is the most popular company in the world.

I'm not sure you understand the word "fact".

BTW, your kook-aid is getting warm. :roll eyes:

Popularity would be difficult to define, but Apple is objectively the most valuable international brand. When you're at the top of the mountain, everyone wants to see you fail and take your place. That's why people flip out over such silly things as a camera protruding 1mm, or mildly contrasting antenna lines. You don't see that same level of criticism aimed at Apple's competitors, largely because no one expects them to maintain the highest attention to detail (unlike Apple).

This isn't a fanboy speaking, either. It's just an honest observation. The right-wing newspaper where I'm from loves nothing more than to publish negative articles on just about anything. One of their favourite targets is Apple and its customers -- not because of the quality of Apple products, but because the company and its customers are an easy target for people who love to get angry about nothing, and who think they always know best. If Samsung replaced Apple as the world's most valuable brand, I have no doubt that Samsung would then receive the brunt of the criticism.

Last edited:

atrevers

macrumors regular
May 24, 2007
UK

I fail to see how being the "most popular company in the world" means more inevitable bugs. If you mean it's because of increased demands on servers etc., then the infrastructure should be scalable in order to support the anticipated number of users, therefore making bugs either less or as inevitable as the next service provider.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.