Do you think your 13" Pro TB runs warm?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by happyslayer, Nov 20, 2016.

1. happyslayer macrumors 6502a

happyslayer

Hey all,

I picked up a new 13" Pro TB with i7, 16GB, 512SSD this morning at the Arrowhead, AZ Apple Store. It was more than I needed (the i7 specifically and the 500GB SSD) but I really wanted the bigger screen, more ports, the Touch Bar and 16GB RAM and that was the only model that they had in stock with 16GB and TB. So after upgrading it to latest beta of Sierra 10.12.2 (16C48b) so I could restore my Time Machine backup from my 2016 12" MacBook that was also running the beta and that I will probably be giving to my wife to replace her older dying 13" Air.

So I have finally had time to really use it tonight and get all my apps running again--re-entering product keys and passwords and such--and I have noticed that it seems to run pretty warm in my lap as well as when on a lap desk; I can feel the warmth while typing through the keyboard. Using iStat Menus to see temps, it seems to run between 42C and 50C pretty much all the time. Even after all the setups were done and all I am doing on it is running Safari or Word or Scrivener. I can definitely feel the warmth on the bottom of the unit and through the keyboard while typing. Is this normal for others with the 13" Pro TB? If you have an i5, does it sound/seem like yours runs cooler? (I know that is hard to judge since you probably don't have an i7 and an i5 to compare. But I think iStat Menus is free to try for like 14 days if you wanna check temps.) Also, I can have iStat menus ramp up the fan speeds manually and that seems to have very little effect one way or the other.

I have gotten pretty used to the fact that my 2016 12" MacBook with m7 runs cool all the time. I have never noticed it getting warm. Whether in my lap, on a table or even in bed pressed up against the comforter with several apps and Safari tabs open.

Also, like others have reported, the battery time has been pretty bad. Full charge to 5% in less than 5 hours on mid brightness, but almost continuous use.

On that note, maybe, it is still indexing or something and that is why it is both warm and using power so quickly. (However, with an i7, 16GB and the latest, fastest 512GB SSD, shouldn't it index fast as well? I am currently only using 88GB and a big chunk of that is movies, so not that many tiny files to index.)

Regardless, I'll let it charge over night and then do an SMC reset, which I have seen recommended in other posts about battery issues (And maybe a PRAM reset) tomorrow morning and see if that changes or affects anything.

If nothing changes over the next few days, especially the battery time, I may just return it and go back to the 12" MacBook for now.

2. sinoka56 macrumors regular

get used to it, they designed it that way that the aluminum acts as a heat spreader

3. MacBH928 macrumors 68030

MacBH928

I don't know where technology got to but my unibody 2008 is considered "cool" if it is running 60C, and it can reach 90C on heavy load.

I don't worry about the heat as much as I worry if the heat will destroy the laptop faster.

4. happyslayer thread starter macrumors 6502a

happyslayer

I understand that that's the design, I've owned a lot of MacBooks, Pros and Airs. But if it's going to run warm/hot all the time that's an issue. It's uncomfortable to use on my lap just to surf the web. Thats not right.

ill give it a few more days to test before returning