Do you tip the carhops at Sonic?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ziggyonice, Jun 25, 2009.

?

Do you tip the carhops at Sonic?

1. Yes, I tip them -- they work hard for me make little.

15 vote(s)
    31.9%
  2. No, I don't tip them -- they're not waitresses, they're just carhops.

32 vote(s)
    68.1%
  1. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

So I've been thinking about this a lot recently: do you tip the carhop at Sonic (or any other drive-in restaurant)? Realistically, all they're doing is giving you your food -- they don't check up on you or refill your drinks.

Sometimes, I'll pay with cash and leave the change for the carhop. But today, I paid with my debit card -- so after debating in my mind for a few moments, I decided to give the carhop a $1 tip. So, any thoughts on this? Anyone ever work at Sonic as a carhop?

2. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

My dad does...and he makes me do it when he's in the car with me. I don't usually do it unless I have some cash I can spare, and the person was helpful and nice. (Not often. On both counts. :p)

3. David G. macrumors 6502a

Nope, none of those restaurants up here as far as I'm aware.

4. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

typically people who work for tips make below minimum wage

I always tip 25-30 percent (many of my friends work in the service industry)

most people are a**holes and dont tip

5. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

6. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

http://www.sonicdrivein.com

Not to veer too much off topic, but...there's one of these like 5 minutes from my house and I've still never been. Is it good? Any recommendations on what I should try?

7. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

The onion rings are pretty good, everything else is pretty mediocre as one would expect from fast food.

8. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

10. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

Ah, I see... looks like taken from the Flintstones outro. No, I wouldn't. You don't tip the people at McD or BK, do you? I'd make exceptions if the service it very good or the person is very nice, but not in general.

11. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

I do since 4 of my friends work at 2 different Sonics. I know how tough it can be there on a busy night. I'll tip maybe the change from a 5 or something like that, just to show I care/ acknowledge they try a decent bit. But if they are A__h___s, then no, no tip.

12. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Sonic has the best slushes, but no I don't tip the carhops. A few of my friends have worked there over the years, and they made several dollars over minimum wage. It's not a typical tips/wage setup like a table service restaurant.

13. xboxer75010 macrumors 6502

xboxer75010

If they are on roller skates and dont drop my food then yes.

14. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Get a Route 44 Cherry Lime-aid. Most of them have half price drinks between certain hours. Everything else is just decent fast food. I usually get a burger and cheesy tater tots. They are definitely known more for their drinks than anything else. It's like a fast food twist on the old soda shop, they will make you just about anything.

15. danny_w macrumors 601

No, they are not waitresses that work for tips. I find it aggravating that nowadays they seem to expect tips though. Several times lately when I have ordered there and hand them the money they start to walk off without handing back the change (perhaps not much change, but still...). I tip for table service, not for fast food.

16. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I love how there's a TON of commercials in my area about Sonic, but there's actually no Sonic near here.

But yeah, never been to one. And is it really a drive in? Like I could've sworn in the commercials they were at the drive-through like in certain McDonalds/Burger King, where you drive through, pick up your meal, and then keep on driving.

17. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

my thoughts, exactly :D

if this is a fast food chain, i doubt they even expect to be tipped.
    does anyone tip the cashiers at McDonalds? they put together your order and deliver it to you. this seems similar.

18. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Both are options. You can pull your car into a spot and order the food and people bring it to your car, and you can eat there, or you can go through the drive-thru.

If I don't have the money to tip, I go drive-thru. If Im feeling generous I go to the drive up spot. :)

19. danny_w macrumors 601

There are also a very few Sonics that have inside seating, and most also have 'picnic' tables.

20. samiwas macrumors 65816

It is fairly similar, except that they have to leave the building carrying a tray full of food out to your car, and deal with your payment and change there, then generally pick up the garbage you leave if you aren't decent enough to throw it in the can on your way out. I usually throw them a dollar or two just to be nice, and because it makes people happy. No need to be an ass just to show that you are so much better (and "you" is not referring to you, Don't Panic). I usually tip most service-industry people that have to come out from behind a counter.

21. AdamLikesMusic macrumors 6502

You wouldn't tip them if you knew what they did to your food :p (I'm only sort of kidding...)

22. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

I wasn't saying inside the Sonic, I meant there, as in, in your car. I've never seen ones with inside seating. They have those? I've always seen the tables, drive up spots, and drive-thru. :confused:

23. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

As a former carhop (not at a Sonic), I disagree wholeheartedly. We are waitresses - we go to your car, we take your order, we place your order, and bring your food to you on a window tray with napkins and any other condiments you ask for. During your meal, we check in to see if you need anything else and if you're satisfied with your food. If you honk, we come over to see what you need. When you're done, we pick up your tray from your window with the mugs and trash left over. We collect your money and make change if needed. This is exactly the same process a waitress goes through if you were to go to a sit-down restaurant, albeit a lower-end one where wine isn't served and such.

Just because you stay in your car doesn't mean you're not getting service. When I was a carhop, we were paid under minimum wage, which was legal at the time. Most of our earnings came from tips. Of course, if you get bad service, tip little or nothing. If you get good service, give a commensurate tip.

It was a good job during high school in the summers and really made me appreciate how difficult it can be to wait on people and provided additional motivation to go to college. Fortunately, tipping was the norm - I'd maybe get one person a week who didn't tip at all.

24. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

if this is how it works, than a tip seems warranted.
    i had never heard of the place, nor the term carhop, before this thread

25. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I said no because I generally am just getting something small

But if a group goes and he brings out a few things, I do give him a few bucks