iPad Do you touch type on your iPad's onscreen keyboard?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Faize, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Faize macrumors member

People who see me doing so often find it weird enough to warrant commenting on.

2. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Sure, I actually like it. I do wish there were number keys across the top and a few other things but the typing experience on my iPad Air is great!

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not so much because the lack of tactile feedback. I find it difficult to place my fingers in the correct location if don't look at where they are. Keyboard size, i.e., the virtual keyboard is smaller then a normal keyboard makes it difficult as well.

I know many people who can type very fast on iPads and iPhones, I'm not one of them.

4. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

I'm doing it right now. Works just fine for me but I agree about the lack of the number/symbols across the top row. That's my biggest issue with it.

5. zipa macrumors 65816

6. RebornProphet Suspended

7. kallyq macrumors regular

8. Atrin1 macrumors regular

before i bought my air i though i would have great difficulty typing with the keyboard. but i've gotten really used to it and can type pretty fast on it too. just the regular full keyboard, not split

9. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Agreed! Unless I am missing something:p

10. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

The other method would be "hunt and peck." Touch typing means typing without looking at the keys, most typically with the fingers placed on/over the "home row."

11. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

12. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

thanks for clarifying what "touch type" means now that I know, I do not on the iPad on a standard keyboard I do all the time but the ipad Mini is a bit small for me to type without looking comfortabe

13. Altis macrumors 68000

Are you saying you can be looking a few inches from the keyboard and still type? Or are you saying that you can type successfully while looking away from the iPad altogether?

Because "touch typing" on a desktop, for example, would imply being able to type without looking at the keyboard (because the screen is separate).

14. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Yep. That's how I take notes in class since I don't exactly have a desk in the lectures. If I had a proper desk I could bring in my wireless keyboard, but it's just not worth it. I'm nowhere near as fast thumb-typing on an iPad 3, but I manage better than writing. I found Notability to be great because I can type AND write, something Evernote and its writing app cousin didn't do.

The iPad Air would probably help me immensely because of the smaller bezel, but I'm refusing to upgrade until it has Touch ID since you know it's coming to the iPad line soon.

15. Meister Suspended

Meister

I can type without looking both on ipad original and mini.
    I obviously wouldnt call it 'touch typing', i just know where the bottons are.
    Ive never used any other keyboard then the touch keyboard for the last three years.

16. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

17. Altis macrumors 68000

I guess my question is, how can you avoid looking at the keyboard when the screen you're looking at is home to the keyboard... they are inches apart. ;)

I have heard that the full size iPad in landscape mode has keys that are the same size as the Apple bluetooth keyboard keys and spacing.

18. Meister Suspended

Meister

... you just dont look at the screen? Maybe because you are paying attention to something else.
    Or you focus on the text.
    I am typing this without looking... Well sometimes i glance but i am at least as fast as on a traditional keyboard. Most people i know can do this. I never meet anyone who attached a bluetooth keyboard to their ipad. Defeats the purpose imo.

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes, I do, but only for use in a pinch; it has no tactile feedback, so it's hard to touchtype.