Do you trust the Lifeproof cases?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by chrismarle, Feb 19, 2012.

1. chrismarle macrumors 6502

2. 184550 Guest

I was actually just looking at some photos a friend posted from his recent trip to Miami/ South Beach. The underwater shots looked pretty good and his iPhone made it out unscathed.

3. tygrubb macrumors regular

I regularly do a light wash my of my LifeProof case (with phone inside) after going out in dusty/dirty conditions (hiking in the Southern California desert/chaparral) and the occasional spilling of food and drink. Phone is untouched. Case does its job very well.

4. chrismarle thread starter macrumors 6502

Also, is there some kind of protection inside the case to prevent the inside of the case to scratch the phone?

5. JMies419 macrumors 6502

I have four friends who use the Life Proof case and they all trust the case 100%. It is truly amazing how well this case works. I am actually thinking of purchasing one myself, awesome case.

6. tygrubb macrumors regular

I don't know that there's anything special in the case to prevent that, but I have not noticed the case to leave any scuff or scratch marks on the phone.

All other cases/bumpers that I have tried (Incase Slide, Incase Snap Case, Apple Bumper) have scuffed or marred the phones I've had in them.

7. dirtbikng8 macrumors newbie

8. skim32, Jun 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2012

skim32 macrumors newbie

My roommate has one. She takes it into the shower all the time. And has dropped her phone on many occasions. She has no problems with it and loves it. She switch to lifeproof after I told her about it. She was coming from a Otterbox defender that was much bulkier, not waterproof, and her phone broke once from dropping it with the case on. She was wary about the lifeproof case at first, because it was a lot slimmer than the Otterbox and didn't feel quite as durable, but she is now a believer. She absolutely loves it.

I have my doubts. The problem with the lifeproof case is the flap at the bottom of the case that protects the 30pin dock connecter. The flap will get in the way of docking your phone. Unless the 30 pin adapter like the Radtech dock extender is long enough to clear the dock. But in that instance, I doubt the dock will be stable enough and your phone may end up tipping over. And really using a 30pin extender defeats the convenience of having the elevation Dock. So I am a little torn. To get the Lifeproof case and pretty much have a 60 dollar paperweight with the elevation dock, or just to use a different case. I may just end up using a different case as the 5 is coming out soon (fall hopefully) and the lifeproof case wont' be compatible with the 5, but the person that made the elevation dock states that there will be some sort of kit made available for the 5.

9. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

I have used on in the past and am going to use it again since I'm starting work on Monday:(.

I am a avid outdoor enthusiast and think that this case is made for that. I wouldn't trust the waterproofness of it though. You can but in all fairness after using it for a couple weeks 1 small piece of lint stuck in the seal, head phone jack plug not tight could end your fun quickly.

The only thing that made me switch back to just a bumper was the head phone jack doodad was just funky lol and very inconvenient. And the glare was pretty bad would've been nice with a matte finish... But I'll be putting it back on here shortly.