Do you turn your MBA into a desktop for home computing?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Eggtastic, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

I have a 11" MBA, coming from an 06' MBP 15", and it has been a joy to use since then. for my 15", i have always had it on my desk most of the time except for class / library work in college. the screen was just big enough for my uses.

now with the 11", i am very use to the screen, but am considering buying an external monitor, maybe apple keyboard/trackpad, and speakers to double it as a desktop for when i am home (which is a lot now that i am done school).

i can get a good cheap external for under $300 (dell u2311h, i think thats the model) so I am considering the buy. do any of you do the desktop set up with your MBA if its your only machine?

also, if you do, do you just use the external + MBA combo? or do you buy a separate keyboard, trackpad, and speakers and run clamshell mode?

it just would be nice for a little extra real estate from time to time.

2. lukekarts macrumors regular

Personally, I've had laptops since 2003 so I'm so used to operating on a laptop keyboard; and especially the 2008+ MacBook trackpad, I actually prefer working on a laptop to having a separate screen/keyboard/mouse setup.

That said, it makes a lot of sense for the 11 inch, to have the best of both worlds, as I think the screen may be too small for prolonged use.

3. VMMan macrumors 6502a

No, but sometimes I roll over and sleep on top if it if I fall asleep while using it in bed.

It's not very good as a mattress topper.

4. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I use it pretty much all day and I've never considered that. I'm comfortable with it the way it is I guess.

5. seepel macrumors 6502

seepel

I definitely do this and it works just great. I run clamshell with a keyboard and magic trackpad. I run this setup both at work and at home, so I basically consider my MBA to be an ultraportable desktop, that can function as a laptop sometimes. Though I may not be in the majority I think than anything less than 1920x1200 feels a bit cramped, so I couldn't imagine working any other way.

6. YEEZY macrumors member

Got a cheap MiniDisplay Port to DVI cable from cellularfactory.com and hooked up my computer with it. Thought it wouldn't work at first, but it's actually great! I have a lot more screen resolution now and if I don't mirror, then a lot of possibilities open up. I usually have like a DJ program open on my monitor and I do all my IMing and web surfing on my MBA's screen. Amazing!