Do you update all images for retina display?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by jPuzzle, Apr 25, 2012.

1. jPuzzle macrumors newbie

jPuzzle

Hi guys
    I'm in the process of making two sets of images for iPhone and iPhone 4 ie the Retina display

I understand you have to make 2 sets of images, the lo res and hi res "....@2x"

My question is, do you guys do this with every image? Or just important ones ie main character, menu etc

It seems to me a big pain to make 2 sets never mind the increase in file size!

Thanks Chris

2. cMacSW macrumors regular

I create both, I start with the @2x then after I'm finished I resize the normal. When I get around to I probably create an automator action to handle this automatically.

3. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I make a single version and just scale it down most of the time. Occasionally, things look pixelated if they're simply scaled down (thin lines are prone to this,) so I need to make a separate, non-Retina version of the image.

I would guess my method takes a performance hit when it's running... but honestly, I haven't made any games complicated enough that any drop in frame rate is noticeable on even the 3GS.

If you just resize the double image, won't you end up with messed up pixels (IE, if an image is outlined?)

4. cMacSW macrumors regular

Most of my images are not super sophisticated, in the few instance when
    the resized image does look right, I manually tweak it.

5. jPuzzle thread starter macrumors newbie

jPuzzle

I'm still confused about the whole @2x system having to include two sets of images
    Why can't you just include 1 hi res image won't that automatically get scaled down on a non retina device?

6. robvas macrumors 68020

Because different images will scale differently, and no one algorithm is going to work best with all images

http://www.compuphase.com/graphic/scale.htm