Do You Upgrade Every Single Update?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KidZgOtMac, Nov 7, 2011.

?

How Often Do You Upgrade?

Poll closed Nov 12, 2011.
  1. Every Worthy Update

8 vote(s)
    12.3%
  2. Always

12 vote(s)
    18.5%
  3. Every Other (Most Of The Time)

8 vote(s)
    12.3%
  4. Sometimes (Almost Never)

25 vote(s)
    38.5%
  5. Never

12 vote(s)
    18.5%
  1. KidZgOtMac macrumors regular

KidZgOtMac

I was thinking of reselling my MBP whenever a worthy update is done to the line. There were no great changes done to the line last time. I'm guessing maybe the 2012 update will be way better. Until I see some WOW factor I think I'll be holding on to my dearest.

2. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

If you don't upgrade every time then how can you call yourself an Apple user? Being an Apple user entails mindlessly spending money for electronics that you don't need.

I had the 2010 MBP and then I bought the Thunderbolt (Early 2011) version when it came out. Now the Thunderbolt version has been updated (Late 2011), so I went out to give Apple my hard earned money for 0.1 GHz

... Of course we don't upgrade every time. What sort of stupid question is that?

3. Quinoky macrumors regular

Quinoky

I do believe some people upgrade every time, by selling their "old" computer first (which is insane to me, though)..

4. simply amazing macrumors member

my good old macbook is turning 6 next year. i want to upgrade, but i honestly have no reason to just yet. all adobe apps run perfectly fine on mine. i can definitely use the screen space of, say, a 17" mbp, but the 13" holds me down just fine.. just a little annoying sometimes.

5. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

I don't believe anyone who bought the Early 2011 model sold it to buy the Late 2011 model ... But I guess there are insane people among us.

I mean, really, there's absolutely no reason to upgrade sometimes. Heck, I upgraded from my 2010 to 2011 only because the difference between Core 2 Duo and i5 is mighty significant.

6. oxfordguy macrumors 6502a

I'm still hanging onto my early-2008 Macbbok Pro (2.5Ghz Core 2 Duo), in fact have recently updated it to 6Gb RAM and a 256Gb Crucial M4 SSD, and so it still feels fast , even running Lion.

If a redesigned MBP comes out in 2012 with Ivy Bridge, I will probably get that, though, and give my current MMP to my wife.

7. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

being a poor college student, I shall keep using my current 13" MBP until I run it into the ground :p

After I get out of college and have a job, I'll probably update every two-three years.

8. simply amazing macrumors member

i have a job and i still can't update lol

9. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Used to be every revision but now it's every 2-3 revisions

10. Benbikeman macrumors 6502a

Benbikeman

My policy has always been to buy the best-spec laptop I can on the basis that (with a low-cost upgrade or two, eg. RAM) it'll be good for four years. So far I can see no reason to change my policy for Macs.

My mid-2009 MBP 17 is still doing everything I need it to. I upgraded the RAM to 8Gb for Lion, and I'm upgrading the hard drive tomorrow, and that should do me until there's a really dramatic revamp.

11. Quinoky macrumors regular

Quinoky

I completely agree. My first Mac was a mid 2007 iMac, which was absolutely great for more than four years. My new 2.4GHz 15" MBP will probably last another four years, and so on. Great policy. :)

12. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

I thought this question was referring to software updates as opposed to hardware updates. Voted 'always' in the poll, so you can discount 1 from that and +1 to 'never'. ;)

I should have read the first post rather than just looking at the poll

13. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

Absolutely! My late '08 unibody is 'lacking' in gaming at the moment, otherwise is still kicking some good butt, but I'm planning on upgrading when Ivy Bridge is tossed in.

14. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

2006 MBP -> 2008 Alu MB (secondhand bargain) -> Late 2011 MBP 15.

I'd have kept the 2006, but the Alu MB was too much of a bargain to pass on. The 2006 is still going strong and is used daily by a Friend.

15. dwag3 macrumors newbie

dwag3

Part of the reason I switched to Mac is the brand's longevity. I know people with dual-USB iBooks still chugging along. They're obviously only good for web and email anymore but for what they are used for at this age, they are very good at it.

16. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

For web and email only, almost anything made in the last 10 years would be fine.