Do you use a hard-case on your Unibody?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PowerGamerX, Feb 15, 2010.

1. PowerGamerX macrumors 6502a

PowerGamerX

I never used to but I recently bought a Speck transparent case for mine and while it annoyed me at first, I have gotten used to it and like the fact I don't have to worry about the aluminum getting scratched or dented. I feel it does make the laptop feel a bit tacky though. What are your feelings?

2. phishindsn macrumors regular

Speck See Thru Satin for me. It's nice to have with a 18 month around.

3. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

I've also got a Speck see through case. It's a very sleek design and it now has a few scratches on it that would have surely been permanently on the aluminum.

A case is always a good investment to protect MBP's for resale purposes.;)

4. f2002q macrumors newbie

I use the Speck see through for the MBP17 and it added a full pound to the weight !!! It also makes it about 1/4 inch (or so) bigger, so watch out for bags etc. make for the MBP.

I won't take it off because like other posters, the Speck has taken all the scratches and abuse and has kept my MBP pristine. Just make sure you take it off periodically and clean the inside to prevent scratches from dust and particles...

5. ZDDP1273 macrumors 6502

I don't really move mine around too much, so I just have an InCase sleeve that I put it in if I'm moving it around. I usually use my MacBook if I'm traveling anywhere and just keep my MacBook Pro at home. I have InCase sleeves for both.

6. PowerGamerX thread starter macrumors 6502a

PowerGamerX

You know, at first I was also scared about how the Speck See-Thru case (I have the completely clear, transparent one) would effect the temperatures of my MBP.

I remember on my 12" PBG4, I would see the gpu get around 84 degrees celsius and the cpu 75 celsius after an hour or so of WoW, and I saw very high temperatures in other Apple laptops as well (iBook G4's for example). I had also heard that the standard MBP's had high temperatures too, so I stayed away from these cases for a long time.

Well I'm happy to report that after an hour of CoD4 Multiplayer, the hottest part of my computer, the cpu, hit a maximum of 68 celsius (Around 150 I'm guessing) which is well within good operating temperature.

So to those of you worried about temperatures, don't, the Unibody really seems to handle heat well. I'm very happy about that.

7. Eleventeen macrumors newbie

I don't have unibody but my g/f does and she put a Satin case on hers mostly to differentiate it from the other 6 mac laptops that it can get mixed in with, especially when we visit family.

8. Harmless Abuse macrumors regular

I loved my Speck.

I'm not so worried about resale, but I like the little extra cushion before a fall.

I'm really clumsy because of a physical disability, and so I have a speck, and a Moshi case, and a Speck Aftpack.

I'm planning on ordering another one when I buy a new pro. And I'll continue using them until they stop making them probably.