Do you use a jog wheel?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by puckhead193, Sep 24, 2009.

1. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

My job has me editing highlights of sports about some 40+ clips ranging from 2-5 minutes each (depending on play) Since i have to go through all the clips i hate scrubbing with my mouse. It keeps falling off the desk. So i was thinking of getting a job wheel. I see there really is one brand the contour shuttle pro or the express. Does anyone have any of these? Would you recommend them? Are they large as i don't have a ton of space on my desk?

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

I don't remember the last time I actually used a jog wheel outside of a professional color timing rig, but you don't necessarily have to scrub through clips with the mouse, either. Assuming you're on FCP, you can use the keyboard to scrub through a clip semi-quickly using Shift + Left/Right. This advances the playhead in 1-second intervals vs. 1-frame ones.

3. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

I've got a contour ShuttlePro. It's pretty useful, but a bit too expensive if you pay MSRP. I suggest picking one up used.

4. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

I use a griffin powermate. Not as good as the professional ones, but for $45 (I got it for $20 used) it's pretty good. I only do video work once in a while though.

Also, if you're in Final Cut Pro, there are two scrubbers on each video window. One of them is a direct scrubber, i.e. you drag it x pixels, your playhead moves x frames. This one will make you mouse fall off the table. The other is a playback speed scrubber, so the further you drag it to either side, the faster the video will play in the video. Once you get used to this second one, it's great– you drag it an inch to one side to fly through the video at about 8x, then bring it back to near the middle to slow down to frame by frame scrubbing in either direction to find your ins and outs. Then use i and o to set the points, even without stopping the scrub.

5. DaReal_Dionysus macrumors regular

DaReal_Dionysus

The best jog wheel I have seen at a great price is the Euphonix MC Transport. Around $400.00 american. It's awesome as I just ordered on.

http://www.euphonix.com/artist/products/mc_transport/

I don't know your budget, but for the professional it rocks.

Hope this helps

6. samiwas macrumors 65816

Man, that thing is beautiful!!

I haven't edited video in a while, but I couldn't imagine doing it on a regular basis without a jog/shuttle wheel of some sort. The screen controls would just not suffice for me. I used one of the original Contour Shuttle Pros, before it got all fancy.

7. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

just a tad over my budget as i was only thinking of spending about $100 (US) :p
    but if i had the money and the desk space that thing sure does look sexy!

Is the money worth the shuttle pro over the express? The Pro wheel looks smaller then the express in pictures is this true? Can anyone comment on the actual footprint of them?