Do you use a magic mouse at house?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Trance, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Trance macrumors 6502

laptop users do you prefer using the trackpad over a magic mouse at home?

im debating if i should buy one

2. igazza macrumors 6502a

igazza

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use an external keyboard, mouse and monitor when I'm home 0 that mouse is the magic mouse. I don't like using a trackpad at all, so even when I'm not home, I use the magic mouse.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I use both side by side for different purposes
    I have a MBA with a 23" ACD

5. dendowling macrumors newbie

For good ergonomics while sitting, usually you want to have the laptop up higher on a platform so the screen is closer to the height of your eyes when you sit up straight with your arms at desk level. Which means the laptop keyboard and trackpad are not in a good position for your hands. Many people use a separate keyboard and mouse so their hands are in a comfortable position on the desk while the laptop screen is higher up.

Apple now has the separate Trackpad for this reason if you prefer to use a trackpad over a mouse. Depending on what kind of work you do some tasks may be easier with a mouse.

Personally, I think it's easier to do accurate dragging, clicking and moving at the same time, with a mouse rather than a trackpad - like selecting text, and selecting graphics in photoshop.

If you have OS X Lion, there are some gestures designed just for trackpads.

6. fingerman macrumors member

I bought a MM and used it for a few months then and went back to just using the trackpad which I prefer!

7. Silentsky macrumors newbie

I bought a Magic Mouse,as when I need to use Auto CAD and so on,trackpad is not so accurate,so I think I need a Mouse

8. Takashi macrumors regular

Probably better to invest in a Wacom tablet for Auto CAD.

To OP: I use external keyboard and Microsoft BlueTrack mouse. I will use the trackpad if I am using the computer elsewhere.

9. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

I use a Logitech mouse. The Magic Mouse has to be one of the most uncomfortable peripherals I've ever used.

10. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Yeah same here.

I borrowed a friend's magic mouse for a week and I really wanted to like it but I just couldn't.

Not exactly sure what Apple was thinking when they decided to go with a low profile.

11. Amerabian macrumors regular

The magic mouse I have was gifted to me by a dear friend.

I like it!

Very simple, very stylish, and runs well with CallofDuty :cool:

12. Takashi macrumors regular

I brought the magic mouse and returned it (new in box) after I tried it out in the store. The low profile looks very nice but it's not practical for long term use.

My dad has one for his iMac and that stupid thing died after 2 years of normal use (No he doesn't have apple care). At the end he gave up and use the red Microsoft Arc mouse that he got years back and it worked fine.

13. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I use the trackpad on my laptop, as I prefer it over the magic mouse. The MM isn't too bad though, I use it on my iMac.

14. derickdub macrumors 6502

For basic tasks such as web browsing I could see the Magic Mouse being fine, but anything that requires a plethora of key bindings it wouldn't cut it. Particularly because the lack of a scroll wheel.

I can't see how you use AutoCAD with a Magic Mouse. How do you pan and orbit without the middle mouse button? I suppose you could change the binding, but doing it any other way than middle mouse just seems weird to me.

I personally use a Logitech Anywhere MX; it was cheap and has side buttons. My only gripe is not being able to rebind the button below the scroll wheel to middle mouse in OS X.

15. Silentsky macrumors newbie

wow,I never use a Wacom tablet,I just Bing it and found it's surely suitable for CAD,maybe I can consider to get one.

16. altecXP macrumors 65816

Magic mouse Home and work. My CEO is the same way.

17. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

whoever designed the magic mouse hates hands for some reason, i don't think it could be made any less ergonomic than it is.

18. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

i have to agree haha.
    it's so freaking low profile.

19. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Using the magic mouse is like riding a bike without a seat.

20. Ansah macrumors newbie

Ansah

Ditto. I dislike both laptop trackpads and the Magic Mouse. I like a simple mouse with a left click, right click and a scroll wheel in the middle. (What's with Apple's default ctrl + for dialogue box click? Yuk!) I also like a straight wired USB mouse so as not to have yet another gizmo that requires batteries.

21. WAM2 macrumors 6502a

WAM2

I'm usually using a Might Mouse, I Love it other than the scroll ball getting dirty :D And it works with momentum scrolling unlike PC mice.

22. ThomasBoss macrumors regular

Nope, I love my trackpad...although if I had an iMac, I would probably go with a Magic Mouse....desktop + magic trackpad just isn't right for me lol

23. dilvid macrumors newbie

The magic mouse doesn't have a scroll wheel but it does have a scroll function. You just drag as you would with a wheel and it scrolls.

When out and about I just use the magic mouse but at home I use the a wireless keyboard, magic trackpad and the magic mouse (trackpad is very usefull for some gestures so I use the mouse and trackpad at the same time).

24. derickdub macrumors 6502

I didn't say the Magic Mouse lacked the scroll function, it lacks a middle mouse button. Most mice with scroll wheels have this function when you press the scroll wheel in, and I find it is very important to pan and orbit in AutoCAD. I do recall ways that you could enable a middle mouse click on it, but I still prefer a traditional mouse.

25. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Currently I only use the built in with my MBP, but I'm seriously thinking about getting a magic mouse to use while at the desk to put on the keyboard "part" of the desk.

Meh, maybe when the price goes down or something; I'm also accustomed to BTT and the gestures I have set up, that let me do damn near anything very quickly.