Do you use a PDA? Can the iPod touch be a pda?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wildthing1994, Jan 22, 2008.

1. wildthing1994 macrumors member

wildthing1994

I thinking about getting a PDA. I would like to organized my life better. I have a mbp & and iPod and would like a pda that integrates well with OSX and ical, and has bluetooth, and has wifi, but other than that I don't know what else I should be looking for in one. It seems to me that the iPod touch isn't really much of an organizer/pda of sorts. So my question is:

What pda do you use? or not/won't use. Are there any alternatives? ( I hate paper planners). What else should I look for in a pda/other device?
    Any other advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. thebrain74 macrumors regular

Honestly, its a better PDA than any "PDA" I've ever had (including the sony ux-50). The calendar is good, it has notes, internet browsing is good, alarm clock, etc.

However there are some pda feature that some might need (not me) that it lacks, AFAIK)
    -no viewing/editing of PPT, excel, word docs
    -no voice recording (probably will be an add on in the future)
    -no bluetooth
    -no wireless sync to computer

However it has lots over a typical pda
    -massively more storage
    -great screen
    -perfectly sync's with mac (not that common in the PDA world)
    -the ABSOLUTE best portable internet browser

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

does it allow you to add events in calendar on device directly now?

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yes, it was fixed with one of the earlier updates. I can't remember which one. For me the biggest drawback of using it as a PDA is the lack of a Task/To Do application. I miss that on my iPhone.

5. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

The availability of wireless Internet access is something to keep in mind if you'll be using the PDA for direct access to email and the web.

I considered a Touch for using as a PDA. Unfortunately, my campus wireless requires SSH authentication to log-on to the university wireless network, so until the Touch includes a Terminal-like application, it's no good to me.

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G4

QCassidy352

As to the first, you can do so if it's sent to you in an email (at least, you can on an iphone; I assume the touch is the same).

As to the second, I can see that being added to the iphone, which has a mic (for obvious reasons), but does the touch have audio input? I can't see why that would have been built in...

7. ArchiMark macrumors 6502

If you jailbreak your Touch like I did, then you install SSH and Terminal. I've got both of those apps along with about 50 other ones now!!!

Just realize tha as of today, you can't jailbreak with firmware v.1.13, use 1.1.2 as per instructions online....

HTH,

Mark

8. ArchiMark macrumors 6502

Yes, you can edit/add events on Touch...

Also, with jailbroken Touch you can apps like MobileToDo List for more PDA functionality, works great!!!

HTH,

Mark

9. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Hmmm. That makes it more tempting. Still, it's silly that Apple didn't consider this use in the first place, and include an app that would allow SSH or other authentication without the need to jailbreak.

10. Jebaloo macrumors 6502

Surely come February with the SDK we'll see a lot of the added functionality that many folk currently feel is amiss.

I'm loving my iPhone and it's gone far beyond my original expectations. I no longer feel tethered to my computer. I deal with my e-mails when the come in, so when I sit down at my desk I don't waste half a day catching up. I am also using the onboard Calendar to sync with iCal, and then through Spanning Sync, too with my Google Cal - organisationally it's a synch, and very helpful with team-work too. Just my experiences. I'm really looking forward to the SDK, am hoping it brings some sort of Skype integration (how awesome would that be!).