Do you use a screen protector? If so, which kind?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by MoodyMedStudent, May 22, 2011.

?

With regards to a screen protector

1. I don't use one

16 vote(s)
    27.6%
  2. I use a clear one

32 vote(s)
    55.2%
  3. I use an anti-glare one

9 vote(s)
    15.5%
  4. I use a mirror one

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I use a privacy one

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. MoodyMedStudent macrumors member

This thread is really just for interest's sake. Feel free to discuss your experiences.

2. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

3. ctbear macrumors 6502a

hmm this is kind of hard lol
    I have a wet install matte skin on the back, and a SGP ultra optics on the front...none of the options best describes my setup ;)

4. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

It asks about screen protectors. Unless you have an iPhone with two screens, you should select clear.

5. Surely Guest

Surely

I bought a bunch of clear ones (front and back) from sw-box.com. It wasn't much of a gamble for $2.10 a piece (actually $1.89 a piece, because I bought 5 sets....the more you buy, the cheaper they are), and I was pleasantly surprised.

I've been using the same protector that I put on months ago, and it shows no signs of wear.

The only reason I use one is because I have the ability to wear the screen's oliophobic coating away. It happened with my 3GS, and it happened with my first iP4 (I swapped it for a new one).

6. ctbear macrumors 6502a

That would be true if I used an ultra clear :eek:

7. Shawnpk macrumors 6502

The glass on all iOS devices is so slick, no screen protector gives you the same feel. I have 2 iPhones, an iPad 2 and an iPod touch in my family and only the iPod touch has a screen protector on it (it belongs to my 9 year old daughter).

8. Adriana-white macrumors newbie

Yep.

Must keep caution when changing your screen protector. But it have no effect on the signal strength.

9. MoodyMedStudent thread starter macrumors member

I'm thinking about maybe getting a clear-type screen protector. Do you guys honestly think there's any difference in getting a name-brand like Power Support or SGP or Clarivue compared to a generic one you can pick up on eBay for less than $1 each?

10. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

I've had various screen protectors on my iPhone 3G and 4 from the day I bought them. I'm OCD like that.

Last week I took off the PowerSupport Crystal protector that I've had on my 4 for at least 6 months, and I haven't looked back. I can't believe how crisp and fast the screen is, and that I haven't been getting the complete iPhone experience.

I do feel like I'm playing a round of Russian Roulette within a screen protector, but for now, I'm going to roll without it.

11. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

have an ancient iSkin on mine.

Clean the finger print shield once a week.

12. kalsta macrumors 68000

kalsta

I'm actually amazed so many people use them. The glass on the iPhone is very resistant to scratching, whereas I've seen screen protectors with little scratches all over them. If the film scratches, what's the point? All you're doing is saving the screen for the guy who buys your phone after you're done with it. In the meantime, all you ever experience is a scratched surface.

But correct me if I'm wrong and there exist protective films with the same hardness as glass!

13. Surely Guest

Surely

As I posted above, I use a screen protector to protect the oleophobic coating from being rubbed off of my screen. It could get quite annoying when it starts to wear away.

That being said, I've had the same cheapo screen protector on my iPhone 4 since December, and there isn't a single scratch on the screen protector. It looks exactly the same as it did when I first put it on.

14. Wrapsol macrumors newbie

Use promo code "connected" and receive 25% off all products on our website!

Hopefully that can help the "pricey" issue.

15. Macsta macrumors member

Macsta

3rd iPhone and haven't used one yet, and still no scratches

16. SicMX macrumors member

PowerSupport anti-glare on both my iPhone and iPad. Have tried multiple other brands but nothing comes close to the clarity and quality of the PowerSupport screen protectors.

Anti-Glare because it reduces glare and there are no fingerprints.

17. naths macrumors 6502

clarivue....front and back,cant even notice its there...

18. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

You sound like me. I also have used screen protectors since I've had the first gen, 3G, 3GS and now the 4. Last week I took off my power support anti glare and it's been unbelievable. Now I do this at least a couple times a year. Getting a protector then taking it off. I just can't believe how crisp the screen is and smooth without it either I love it. For now I'll be using it without a protector.

19. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

When I first got my phone, I was so paranoid about scratching it I put a full body skin on it. However, after a couple of months I got fed up of the look and feel of it so took it off.
    I've now just got a bumper on and the phone is loads better without a screen protector

20. kalsta macrumors 68000

kalsta

Okay. I'm not sure what the 'oleophobic coating' is, but I've had my iPhone 3G since they came out and never had a problem with the glass surface. If you angle it towards the light in such a way that the light reflects directly off it, you can make out some very small, very fine scratches, but in normal use you don't see them at all. The glass still looks great, and I've never used any kind of screen protector. We have five iOS devices in our house and they all look great without any screen protection.

21. Surely Guest

Surely

The iPhone 3G doesn't have the oleophobic coating on the screen. Apple started using it with the 3GS.

Basically, the oleophobic coating repels finger oil, so there are less fingerprints on the screen. Plus, it is easier to wipe the screen clean.

22. gigemzach macrumors 6502