Do you use a wheelchair? I need your help!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by cleo, Jan 12, 2008.

1. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

Hi folks! I'm doing a project for my diversity class on social etiquette and people with physical disabilities. As usual, I've procrastinated a bit, and my first plan -- to interview friends in the disability community in my area -- is falling through, because of people's (understandably) busy schedules. But since a big part of our grade comes from creativity in presentation, I'm going with plan B: IChat video interviews, which I'll record and then use iMovie to cut into a nice little quirky yet semi-educational presentation.

If you're willing to participate, I'll basically be asking you about your experiences, in general (or, if there's a specific one you want to focus on, that's cool too), meeting people for the first time in business/school/civic contexts (basically anything except friends, dating, etc). Has anyone ever said anything you've found to be particularly offensive? Do you generally find there to be an air of awkwardness? If so, how do you diffuse it, or what could the other/non-disabled person do to diffuse it? If the person wants to ask you questions about your use of a chair/cane/braces/etc, do you feel that's appropriate? How do you handle it? What could the non-disabled person do to make the experience generally better for you? And so forth. I anticipate the interviews to last 10-15 minutes.

This is a really low-key thing, not some big dissertation project, but it's still a pretty important part of my grade.... so if you're reading this, have a video-capable Mac (or PC, I suppose, but I don't know why you'd be reading this in that case... :)) and are willing to spend 10 minutes talking about yourself, you'd make me one *very* happy gimp-girl!

Oh, and if you don't have a disability but are nevertheless intrigued, I'm also looking for some of you, too! I'd ask you some of the same things, from the other perspective. You don't have to necessarily have had a lot of interaction with people with disabilities.

If you can help, respond here or send me a PM. I'll check back regularly, as I'd like to complete the interviews in the next two days.

Thank you!!! ::batting my eyelashes::

2. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

This sounds like a really cool project! I'm not a part of the disability community, so I can't be of much help, but I just wanted to give you a thumbs up on a very interesting topic and a nice approach to tackling it.

3. cleo thread starter macrumors 65816

cleo

Thanks for the encouragement, Chemist! Maybe after I finish it and turn it in for grading I'll post it here (with the participants' consent, of course!).

But it won't happen if I can't rustle up some survey/interview subjects! Anyone?

4. chris200x9 macrumors 6502a

do you need video? would it be possible to do an ichat only interview?

5. cleo thread starter macrumors 65816

cleo

Chris, something is definitely better than nothing! Since I'm going to mix everything in iMovie, I can easily slip in title screens with quotes. If you're interested, send me a PM and we'll set up a time to chat! :)

Wooooo! Who's next? Step (er, roll) right up! :D

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

My best friend Monica is in a wheelchair, I'll see if she wants to contribute.

7. avincent52 macrumors regular

Sounds like a fine idea.
    Perhaps you're doing this already, but try also casting your net on forums for people with disabilities. Many, if not most, would have computers, I would think, and are probably willing to participate.
    FWIW, you might include the mother of a young child in your discussion.
    My little cousin is in a wheelchair and her mom has had to deal with delicate social situations with kids and other parents, as well as bullying the school for access to video conferencing (the school is citing "privacy" concerns with students and teachers.)

Allen