Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you have an AMEX card?

• Yes, one

Votes: 42 38.2%
  • Yes, more than one

Votes: 22 20.0%
  • I used to have one

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • No

Votes: 41 37.3%

• Total voters

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007
yes, i have a green one. no idea why though. i hardly ever use it since i might aswell just use my debit card.

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
Yep, I make it a point to use AMEX for purchasing costly items. Recently I bought a Blackberry curve using AMEX - it made a trip of Washing/Drying machine and thanks to AMEX Purchase Protection I will get a full refund.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I don't have one because my Visa has an insanely low fixed APR. My wife and I rarely use it and only if we have to.

AMEX has a bad reputation, which they are now trying to fix, because it used to have membership fees and the APR's weren't that great. The plus was that they offered really great services which is why it was known as a business card. Of course now they have different tiers of service and cards without membership fees.

Flyer0815

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2007
PA
I have the Blue one that I use for all major purchases. The warranty extension and buyer protection program is enough for me. The way they handled the iPhone price drop was awesome as well. Just a quick phone call and the difference was credited back. Excellent customer service!

dsnort

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2006
In persona non grata
Yes I have one, company supplied, and I loathe it.

Too many places don't accept Amex.

The problem is the discount.

You may not know this, but when you use a credit card, not only do you pay interest on the purchase amount, but the card company DISCOUNTS the purchase to the vendor! If you buy $100 at a store and use a Visa, Visa only pays the store around $96.00, ( old information, discounts may have changed).

The problem with Amex is that while Visa/mastercard may discount 3-4%. Amex discounts 7-8%.

That's why so many small establishments take V/MC, but not Amex.

So when you lay out that Amex, know you're screwing the vendor.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
They are hated over here (UK) by pretty much every shop so they are practically useless.

Edit:

The problem with Amex is that while Visa/mastercard may discount 3-4%. Amex discounts 7-8%.

Apparently it is 2.5% and 5% respectively here and why the shops do not take them.

Flyer0815

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2007
PA
They are hated over here (UK) by pretty much every shop so they are practically useless.

Hmm thats interesting. When I was in London come to think of it, I never really saw the option for Amex at shops... paid MasterCard for mostly everything. Is there a reason why they are loathed in the UK?

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Hmm thats interesting. When I was in London come to think of it, I never really saw the option for Amex at shops... paid MasterCard for mostly everything. Is there a reason why they are loathed in the UK?

I edited my post, but basically they charge twice as much as the other cards. This information is a few years old as I no longer work in retail.

Thanks for the current info!

Not current and not in America, should've made that abundantly clear, sorry.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
A guy at my work was paying with an AmEx card, and he told me he gets 5% back at years end for all purchases he makes with the card.

I've got a visa/debit card, but if/when I ever get a real credit card, I'd definitely look into AmEX

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
3 VISA card... one debet for every day use and two credit cards, mostly for online purchases...

American Express and Diner's are totally worthless here in Norway... I used to have a MasterCard debet card, though, but my current bank prefers VISA so by proxy, so do I... ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.