Do you use an iPad as a personal computer? How is your experience

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Anneks, Nov 20, 2015.

?

Do iPad's make good personal computers? Do you use one as a substitute or alongside your PC?

1. Yes I got one and it suits just fine

10 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No, tried it and it doesn't suit my needs

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. Its good but it's no substitute

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  4. I use an iPad alongside my PC

12 vote(s)
    40.0%
  5. I use the iPad when I need portability

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. Anneks macrumors member

Anneks

I've got a question for the iPad users, have ever you used your iPad as your personal computer? If so how was your experience? :apple:

2. modernaccord macrumors 6502a

Yep, I run a small business and I just got rid of my rMacBook and iPad mini in favor of the pro. So far, so good. I have found absolutely nothing that I really miss from my MacBook (other than a usb port for printing, which I mitigated by getting an airprint printer). Sleek, discrete, portable, powerful (with the office suite), and charming.

It's superb if you never used any real Mac based software.

3. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

I voted "I use one alongside my PC", but I use it in lieu of my rMBP (which I also would say I use along my Mac) for portability reasons. It has been a fully-functional replacement for what I used my rMBP for on the go.

4. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

I have to remote into my Windows work PC to do anything productive and use the screen as a virtual mouse.. but otherwise, I can do pretty much anything on it.

5. artfossil macrumors 6502a

artfossil

Yes, I use an iPad about 80-90% of the time instead of my rMBP and the experience is groovy. :cool:

6. Anneks thread starter macrumors member

Anneks

Do you use the Smart Keyboard with your iPad Pro?

7. modernaccord macrumors 6502a

If I could find one, I would. Right now I'm using Logitech Keys to Go, but that's going to be returned the moment I get my hands on a smart keyboard. The keystrokes are better and the keys sit farther apart.

8. Anneks thread starter macrumors member

Anneks

That's sounds pretty cool, how do you find Microsoft Office using the remote desktop app?

9. modernaccord macrumors 6502a

I used to do this with iPad Air in my old job that required a very high powered desktop computer for fluids analysis. I couldn't work from home so I just did RD into the work computer.

The experience depends on your internet speed on both ends of the connection: My office always had a very fast line 100+mbps, and my home had a decent 50mbps connection.

I have managed to get a decent amount of work done on gogo inflight wifi, albeit a lot slower than if I connected from home.

10. hippo206 macrumors 6502

I voted for yes, but I think I should have probably picked that I use it along with my PC. I remote into my work desktop to do a fair amount of work. But... for the last week I have not carried any other device other than my iPP and iphone.

With the exception of some new habits that I need to learn, it has worked out well.

11. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I find it hard to update my radar detector. And my Garmin GPS. And any other gadget I have that requires connection to a PC. I also can't run Quicken. And most of my favorite games don't run on it.

Other that that, sure! It's great.

12. Anneks thread starter macrumors member

Anneks

Yeah the Smart Keyboard looks closer to a traditional keyboard in design than the Keys to Go, do you prefer iOS to OS X?

13. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

Everything works fine.. I have the Smart Keyboard for anything "typing" related and I find the experience overall pretty decent once you get used to using the screen as the virtual trackpad.. I'm using Microsoft Remote Desktop (official app from the App Store)

14. paulmeyers42 macrumors member

Yes, over time I've used the iPad more and more as my personal ("home") computer. I have a 2010 iMac that has seen less use over time and I can't justify upgrading.

Between the iPhone and the iPP, I'm basically covered for all my personal computing needs - email, web, social, media, video editing, research, reading, and light productivity. More importantly I actually prefer the iOS experience over the Mac experience nowadays.

Work computing is still on the MacBook Pro - we can't use tablets easily on our corporate network, and there are Mac and Windows apps that I need to use.

15. Michael Goff Suspended

Michael Goff

I currently use an iPad Air 2 and a Typo Keyboard when needed.

It works, aside from when I need to load a beta on it and have to plug into my desktop. If anyone can find a way to not have to do that, let me know.

16. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

Keys to go would be amazing if they made it full sized. I love the thinness and the weight. Problem is it is cramped. I know they made it to match the ipad Air size but why, a little bigger and it would be perfect. I have a logitech k380 that I have been using to make my iPad my Personal Computer. But after trying the magic keyboard and feeling how thin and light it is that crap is going back and my $80 rewards certificate for buying the pro is getting me a magic keyboard.