Votes: 13 68.4%
  • No

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 15, 2004
I myself Do not use any PPC apps. I Dont even install them, because I dont want to slow my entire system while using a PPC App running with rosetta. However I do need MS office, and its much easier to run Office 2004 under rosetta, than Virtualize windows and run Office 2003 Nativly.

Anyway.... do you use PPC apps? / Rosetta? If so, for what?

psychofreak

Retired
May 16, 2006
London
Have you tried NeoOffice?

I don't use PPC apps, AT ALL! I did use Seashore and Flip4Mac when they were PPC, I also used PS CS2 :)

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I myself Do not use any PPC apps.
its much easier to run Office 2004 under rosetta, than Virtualize windows and run Office 2003 Nativly.
So you do use PPC apps because you use office 2004 for mac. Oh windows 2003 wouldn't really be running natively as it will be running in a visualized workspace.

I use Office 2004 as well and i believe there are some others that haven't been updated such as wiretap pro and capture widget.

Also i find they don't slow down the rest of the system, they are just slower.

WildPalms

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2006
Honolulu, HI
I myself Do not use any PPC apps. I Dont even install them, because I dont want to slow my entire system while using a PPC App running with rosetta. However I do need MS office, and its much easier to run Office 2004 under rosetta, than Virtualize windows and run Office 2003 Nativly.

Anyway.... do you use PPC apps? / Rosetta? If so, for what?

...and now you can use Numbers for Excel and Page for Word ;)

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 15, 2004
So you do use PPC apps because you use office 2004 for mac. Oh windows 2003 wouldn't really be running natively as it will be running in a visualized workspace.

I use Office 2004 as well and i believe there are some others that haven't been updated such as wiretap pro and capture widget.

Also i find they don't slow down the rest of the system, they are just slower.
I do not use it. However I find it would be easier to just run Office 2004, as I have in the past, but didnt like how rosetta was so slow. This was on an iMac Core Duo 2GHz w/ 2GB Ram. I have not Ran it on my new SR MPB w/ 4GB Ram.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I do not use it. However I find it would be easier to just run Office 2004, as I have in the past, but didnt like how rosetta was so slow. This was on an iMac Core Duo 2GHz w/ 2GB Ram. I have not Ran it on my new SR MPB w/ 4GB Ram.
So you don't use Office 2004 for mac and use office 2003 for windows (visualized). Its just the way the original post was worded gave the impression that you use office 2004 for mac.

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 15, 2004
So you don't use Office 2004 for mac and use office 2003 for windows (visualized). Its just the way the original post was worded gave the impression that you use office 2004 for mac.
Sorry its early here :D

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
To give a full answer i just got up system profiler to see what PPC apps i have installed.

CorelDRAW 11 and associated programs - rarely
ChemDraw - very rarely
Dockless - very rarely
Inspiration 7.6 - occasional
Key codes - occasional
MacTheRipper - occasional
Math Type - occasional
MS Office and associated programs - very often
YummyFTP created programs are PPC curiously enough as the YummyFTP is Universal. - rarely

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
i still have Office 2004 but i bought iWork '08, which i'm hoping will eliminate my need for Office since i'm not a heavy user. it turns out my printer software is PPC, too, but i just looked online for a Universal version and am downloading it now!

Am3822

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2006
Groningen, The Netherlands
Since I switched from windows to OS X, there aren't many PPC application which I use (I actually waited until Matlab, Maple and Mathematica would go universal).

I do have Office 2004 for Mac (rarely if ever, I'd rather use Parallels/Office2003), MathType (likewise), Ukelele and MacJanitor (which I use regularly) While we're at it -- MT's creators (Design Science) seem to have given up on the mac.