Do you use anything other than iCloud or Time Machine to backup your computer?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wineandcarbs, Nov 9, 2011.

1. wineandcarbs macrumors 6502a

Do you use anything other than iCloud or Time Machine to backup your computer?

2. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Yes. I use Carbon Copy Cloner.

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Just time machine for backup, I use iCloud for syncing iOS to OSX.

4. samcolson4 macrumors member

I bought an Iomega external drive and it came with some free cloud storage (only 2gb) so I use that to back up school work, just for an extra bit of security.

5. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

I have 2 laptops, both with my dropbox folder synced to it. Dropbox is used to sync my client's files as I work on them as well as my school work for the semester.

So I have my school work and actual work in 4 places: the cloud, the MBP, my other laptop, and my time machine backup.

I use iCloud to sync e-mail, notifications, reminder and calendars between my two laptops and my iPhone.

7. marc11 macrumors 68000

Along with icloud for all its obvios back up items, I use DropBox to back up my photos and documents and other important files(as well as make them available outside) another drive to mirror my internal drives. As soon as iTunes match comes out I'll use that as a back up of my music.

8. fanchee macrumors 6502a

fanchee

9. kastorff macrumors regular

kastorff

10. Mersailios macrumors regular

I primarily use Time Machine, it's the easiest and quickest way to perform a backup and it has the entire system stored incrementally within the backup.

11. old-wiz macrumors G3

I just use SuperDuper and use different external HDDs and rotate them. I never had a problem that Time Machine would have solved and SuperDuper didn't

12. djpuma macrumors regular

I use super duper only.

Don't need time machine to keep backups of everything.

Smart backup with super duper once a week.

13. eternalife macrumors regular

Don't want to hi-jack the thread but for all the SuperDuper users, why use it when TimeMachine is built in? What advantage is there? Just wondering.

14. marc11 macrumors 68000

You cannot boot from TM. With a clone via SD or CCC you have an exact bootable clone drive.

15. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-gb; GT-I9100 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Time machine, DropBox and Crashplan - I want to try and make sure my data is backed up :)

16. ronjon10 macrumors regular

+1 to dropbox. It's a nearly ideal solution. I keep my documents folder in Dropbox. It syncs to a home server and to the cloud automagically.

17. Mersailios macrumors regular

It all depends on how you're performing the backup procedure though; if you're creating a disk image of your system then it's not immediately bootable (though easy enough to restore to a volume either on an internal or external disk).

18. AnthonyCM macrumors regular

Time Machine and Backblaze (off-site). That TM backup isn't going to do you much good if there's a fire.

19. marc11 macrumors 68000

Right. I make my clone bootable via ccc.

20. zurichuk macrumors regular

Time Machine, a daily Carbon Copy Cloner clone of the SSD/HHD drives, and a monthly CCC incremental.

21. the_fellowship macrumors regular

22. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Your system is a good one.

Mine varies a bit since I do everything including all record keeping electronically. Therefore to keep my private data private I use a closed loop NAS equipped network that has no Internet connection. With plenty of redundancy and off site file storage as well. I am fully insulated from intrusion.

In addition my second network is my working system that does take advantage of Dropbox, Evernote, & others. Having my regular data spread across a few services has been working well to keep all my computers & smartphones in sync & up to date.

23. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I use Carbon Copy Cloner to make bootable backups, and keep them up to date with regular incremental backups. I do this on two external drives for each computer. I also backup external drives that contain my movies, part of my music and other files. CCC does a great job for all of this.

24. wineandcarbs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Perhaps a silly question...but with time machine, if the computer itself (hardware wise) actually breaks and won't boot or something happens to it, you cannot recover those backups, correct? In which case it would make sense to use a second backup, like an external HDD or Dropbox? (I have never used Time Machine; so far I am just backing up on an external HDD but may give dropbox another try. I like the ability to access material anywhere, without having to lug around the HDD).

25. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

You can recover perfectly from a Time Machine backup once your hardware issues have been fixed.