Do you use Apple Mail or not?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AGX, Jan 17, 2015.

1. AGX macrumors regular

I had tried several time to use Apple Mail with my iCloud Mail address, but i don't like it so much, I think that it has a strange method to attach file.

For example, why it incorporate the photo into the email? It's better to attach file separately to the text.

There is the possibility to do it?

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Mac Mail'S default format is HTML Simply switch to plain text (Format/Make Plain Text) and the image will be sent as an attachment.

3. AGX thread starter macrumors regular

I had tried but I continue to see the photo inside the mail and not as attachment

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Unfortunately. This bug with it is actually what caused me to switch back to Windows

5. poorcody macrumors 6502

poorcody

I dumped Apple Mail because of this bug as well (when connecting to Gmail).

I wasn't masochist enough to switch back to Windows though ;). AirMail works well for me.

6. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I use Apple Mail. I hate email, so it's a natural choice for me.

7. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I use Outlook for Mac version 15.4 and it has been working well.

8. tdale macrumors 65816

I don't use Apple Mail, as it is an issue with IMAP and Yahoo, although I read this more a Mavericks/Yosemite issue, defaulting Yahoo to POP.

I use webmail for Yahoo. The UI is fine, and webmail exists on any device I want in the world.

9. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Have a look here. I think it has what you are looking for.
    http://micahgilman.com/play/disable-mac-mailapp-inline-image-attachments/

10. entropi macrumors 6502

I use Apple mail, it works perfect and helps me keep some order among my approx. 14800 mails (the oldest is from 2001). I only use iCloud-accounts nowadays. The only thing I miss is some sort of plain text-archive function. I used to do it with an apple script, but it haven't worked for ages now.

----------

btw, I use Mac OS 10.9!

11. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

No problems with apple mail , but took a while to stabilize after initial upgrade to Yosemite.

12. chabig macrumors 68040

Why? When you read a textbook or newspaper, you don't expect all of the illustrations to be at the end of the book. In real-world publishing photos are incorporated into the media.

13. AGX thread starter macrumors regular

I prefer that if I attach a file, it compare as an attachment not as a decorative element of the mail.

14. JSC macrumors member

Apple Mail

I use Apple Mail 10.10.1. I works very well for me for business and personal. I'm connected to AppRiver's Exchange server (for 10 years) which includes a great SPAM, Malware and antivirus filtering system as well as live 24X7 support. I use it for the vast majority of my emails. One weakness is the ability to create reminders with dates. I've added MailTags to address that weakness. The only thing missing is being able to highlight text. As result, I use Outlook for Mac when I need to perform that function. Both operate simultaneously with no problems.

On my iOS devices, iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2, I use CloudMagic. It syncs better with Exchange as it updates correctly on my iMacs.

15. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I tried AirMail, but it would generally crash half way through the day, and I'd end up with the same issue of not seeing new emails.

My work around was to use my phone for email notifications. That was the last straw for me. That and Windows 10 looks really nice on a touchscreen ;)

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I prefer apple's mail.app to others. I don't mind how it attaches, or the use of HTML as the default format.

17. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Apple mail works very well for me with my icloud account. I don't like gmail or Yahoo mail so they are not an issue with me. I have other email accounts but they are all set to forward all mail to my iCloud account. I like the integration with my iDevices.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's probably the differentiator in my case as well. I don't use gmail or yahoo, and so mail.app is fine. I do have an email address on a email provider outside of iCloud and that syncs up nicely.

19. Gazmo macrumors member

Gazmo

I find it takes a while for emails to come through using Apple Mail.

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its quicker then outlook (at least outlook on windows).

21. Gazmo macrumors member

Gazmo

Maybe it's my settings? The same email comes through on my android phone straight away. Could be 10/15 minutes before its on the mac. Sometimes I even have to press the Get Mail option.

22. jamesdmc macrumors 6502

I also use apple mail. I'm not a power user, so it's feature set is fine for my needs. I have rules set up to sort mail into different folders as it comes in, and I don't have an issue with the way it hanldles attachments. All in all, no complaints.

23. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

I've been using Apple Mail since 2006. Very happy with it, does exactly what I need from a mail client.

24. Gazmo macrumors member

Gazmo

Is it just mine that struggles to get emails straight away then?

25. thejoshhoward, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2015

thejoshhoward macrumors member

I give Apple's app a shot from time to time, but that usually lasts only a day or two. I used to use AirMail and loved it, but gave "Mailbox" a try (it's still in beta, technically). Mailbox has become indispensable for me. I can't imagine going back to anything else now that I've been using it on OS X and iOS for as long as it's been available. I almost never have any issues and it helps me keep things organized and focused. If you're an inbox zero type, I highly recommend it.