Do you use Applecare Phone Support?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by McGrol, May 2, 2010.

1. McGrol macrumors newbie

Hello All,

I'm looking to pickup a MBP 13" in the next couple of days and had a query about the phone support for Applecare.

I was in JB Hifi (Australian equivalent of Best Buy I suppose) and they were trying to flog there own extended warranty. They claim it is the same as the Applecare but without the phone support.

I intend to read the fine print first about the rest of the differences, but I was curious as to whether you thought the phone support was worth it.

Whenever I have a problem with Macs I usually Google it or ask the I.T. guys at work.

Thanks in advance for your responses :)

2. Balaamsdonkey macrumors 6502

I used it a lot with my PB. Probably a dozen times or so. And I even got a new HDD out of it (at the end of my three year period my HDD died, literally 1 day prior to the end of the time). I also used it at one point to replace the keyboard.

I also called them in regards to my Airport Base Station.

3. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Is the Best Buy warranty A LOT cheaper? Phone support wouldnt be as much of my concern as customer service. With Apple you dont have to worry about them ripping you off. Unless its really alot cheaper I would go with the Apple Care. If you dont live near an apple store go with the apple care.

4. BigBeast macrumors 6502a

Yup!

Applecare is great. I've used there phone service about 1/2 a dozen times in the 3 years for my MBP and I'm grateful to have it.

Also, if your MB gets locked up like mine has a couple of times, having an Apple operator go step by step through processes to fix your problem is great. Plus, I don't ask PC guys (BestBuy and others) to help me with my Mac cause they probably don't know WTF they're doing.

5. McGrol thread starter macrumors newbie

Applecare is $419 AUD ($390 USD) whereas the in store warranty is $219 AUS ($205 USD).

I've been looking on ebay and people are selling Applecare for $169 AUD ($157 USD). I'm not too keen on buying Applecare that way, but I may try and push my luck and see if JB HIFI will pricematch or at least come down closer to that mark.

6. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

I had AppleCare on a Powerbook G4 and bought it again for its replacement, a MBP. I have used AppleCare technical support frequently and give it high marks. The techs are mostly knowledgeable and the more senior second level guys have been outstanding. As much as I like the peace of mind that AppleCare gives me where repairs are concerned the included unlimited telephone support has meant almost as much to me.

7. TxMacAddict macrumors 6502

If you are going to spend any money on an extended warranty for your MacBook I would definitely choose Applecare.

8. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

I use the phone support portion of AppleCare several times a year, no doubt it has been worth the money spent. There is no way I'd buy a resellers extended warranty when for a few bucks more I can get the best and AppleCare has time after time been awarded best in class.

If you don't want to spend the retail price for it do some shopping there are many resellers (including Amazon) that sell it at discounted prices.

9. KandyKane macrumors 6502

Hiya
    I haven't needed to use the phone support yet with mine.

JB are probably pushing their own extended warranty as there would be a bigger margain in it than in the Applecare.

10. DoorMouse macrumors member

I've always had applecare, but I've never used the applecare phone support (I had a Powerbook for four years, and now a MBP).

If I have a problem, I look up the apple website/internet to see if there's a way I can fix it, but if I don't find anything, I just take it to an authorised apple repair place and let them look at it. I just find it much easier then sitting on the phone, and generally when there's been a problem, its a problem which I then need to take to the repair place anyway.

However, I live very close (within 10 minute walk) to an authorised repair place, so its never been an issue taking it in (apart from the fact that I lose my computer for a little while).

Saying that, applecare, even without using the phone support, is great because you don't have to worry about dealing with multiple repair centres and companies, and then having to try to get reimbursed for repairs etc.

11. JustinBW macrumors member

Like others have stated, the applecare is great. I have used their phone support many times for my iphone(s) and laptops. I never had to sit and wait longer than 4 mins and their support agents are knowledgeable and are usually able to help me with my issue.

Your new computer should come with applecare for a certain amount of time (unless Apple does stuff differently in Australia). So you do not need to decide right now if you wish to extend your Applecare.

Most major retail chains give you a certain amount of time (maybe 30 days after purchase) in which you can come back and purchase their extended warranty as well, not sure about the store you listed though.

If I was you, I would not bother with either until your applecare is about to expire. By that time you might have needed to utilize applecare and seen how good it is.

Good Luck.

12. migsev macrumors regular

Not for troubleshooting, but they're always helpful when setting up a repair. I'd say go for Applecare rather than the reseller's extended warranty.