Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Do we need Lens Protection for iPhone 15 Pro Max

• Yes

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • No

Votes: 56 78.9%
  • Lens Protection might affect the camera function

Votes: 22 31.0%

• Total voters

maverick786us

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2012
Columbus, GA
I will get my iPhone 15 Pro Max by October. I was thinking of having a case that also provides lens protection. Though I am one of those people who take extra care of my device and keep it in a brand new state. But despite all efforts, my phone slips from my hand twice or thrice in its tenure of 2-3 years in my possession.

Now I have heard that the lens protection might affect focus of iPhone 15 Pro Max, of its 3D sensor. I need your opinion, if I really need a lens protection or the case and screen-guard / tempered Glass protection is just fine?

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
You don’t need to… the glass used is very scratch resistant and anything put in front will effect the image no matter what the manufacturer of the protectors claim.

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
You don’t need to… the glass used is very scratch resistant and anything put in front will effect the image no matter what the manufacturer of the protectors claim.
I never used and not planning to, but that is because i bought into all of this sapphire glass thing from apple.
My real sapphire watches are indeed unscratchable , which is not the case with not fully sapphire but only coating in iphones.
So scratches can occur but i am more or less safe person in that regard - case works fine. OP need to decide how they handle their phone.

Reactions: maverick786us

aspenextreme03

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2021
Never and caseless. My bro seriously abuses his 14PM and drops it a lot without a case and the it is fine. The back has shattered once but that is normal for dropping it so much.

If I remember correctly with his 13PM he dropped and it did break one but still worked and took great pics still. Go figure.

My sister in law does use them and it always makes her pictures look terrible.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
No thanks lol. The camera bump is already huge as it is I'm not sticking another piece of glass on it.

My 12 Pro Max lenses are flawless and I had that since launch day. I've had my phone mostly in my pocket but also had it sitting in my car cupholder when using CarPlay and have even put in my back with my keys and coins. No scratches after 34 months of usage.

Cosmo M3

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
The camera lens is sapphire on the Pro...adding an additional element (photographer terms) that's not built by the same glass specs will affect image quality. I don't understand why anyone would add a weaker glass (tempered glass) on top of sapphire.

maverick786us

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2012
Columbus, GA
I'm going to say yes & no.
My wife & I do not.
Our kids, specifically my daughter have broken the lenses before. The kids get a protector. :)
I never used lens, either. I do use cases. My previous XS Max was in brand new condition when I sold it and my 12 Pro max is in Brand new Condition too
I never used and not planning to, but that is because i bought into all of this sapphire glass thing from apple.
My real sapphire watches are indeed unscratchable , which is not the case with not fully sapphire but only coating in iphones.
So scratches can occur but i am more or less safe person in that regard - case works fine. OP need to decide how they handle their phone.

I care for my phone a lot. Thats why I use case and tempted glass protection. But despite all these precautions my phone fell thrice. Twice from bed when and third time while walking in the park, and listening to music it simply slipped from my hands on to the rugged surface. Thanks to the case and tempered glass. Nothing happened to it but I can imagine if it would have fallen in such away that the camera lens (which is unprotected) would have faced the surface, I don't know what would have been the consequence.

I think I will go for a case that has some soft of slider to protect the camera and while taking picture I can swipe the slider from the camera.

rsday75

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
Annnnnnnnnd, my daughter dropped the 3 day old, new to her iPhone 13 PM. (We practice technology trickle-down to the kids) It skittered across exposed agrigate concrete. The case saved the phone. The lens protector was scratched bad, but did not break. The lenses under it were fine. Would the sapphire lenses have not gotten scratched? Who knows, but a 4 pack of the protectors was $7.........

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
Never. The glass is hard enough that it’s almost impossible to scratch. Especially with the phone sitting at an angle when laid down. If you use a case, they normally have a high enough lip.

And any scratch won’t be visible at this level. If you’re so lucky to get one to begin with. I’d rather not compromise the image quality for this minor risk.

Tipper261

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2023
I will get my iPhone 15 Pro Max by October. I was thinking of having a case that also provides lens protection. Though I am one of those people who take extra care of my device and keep it in a brand new state. But despite all efforts, my phone slips from my hand twice or thrice in its tenure of 2-3 years in my possession.

Now I have heard that the lens protection might affect focus of iPhone 15 Pro Max, of its 3D sensor. I need your opinion, if I really need a lens protection or the case and screen-guard / tempered Glass protection is just fine?
I got my iPhone 15 pro max a month ago and put a lens protector on it right away. While using cinematic mode it kept saying it needed more light. Finally took off the cover tonight and now it doesn't give me that warning anymore. It does affect functions. Also saw ugly square lens flare when shooting into the sun. I've read it's cheaper to replace the lens now on the 15 vs the earlier models. I'm keeping mine off from now on.

roeiz

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
Never. The glass is hard enough that it’s almost impossible to scratch. Especially with the phone sitting at an angle when laid down. If you use a case, they normally have a high enough lip.

And any scratch won’t be visible at this level. If you’re so lucky to get one to begin with. I’d rather not compromise the image quality for this minor risk.

are you SURE that lens glass can't be damaged?? and even a tiny scratch won't effect some of your images?
i find that hard to believe. but OTOH, any extra glass on top of the lens will certainly degrade the image..
i'm really afraid because we don't have apple care here.

spacemnspiff

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
MD
My phone is caseless but has a film on the body. I have a ring stuck around the camera bumps, those were separated from the lens protectors, I just use the ring, optics are tossed out, so no optics in front of the camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.