Do you use dashboard?

Habberkuk

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2013
Under your bed...
I've just read that Apple's widget download page is broken :confused:. I was just curious about if you guys would miss it. Personally I use the iStat Pro and some countdown widgets. What widgets do you use?

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
OK, I'll be the oppositional one!

I have a number of widgets that I use every day. While it is true that the information is available from other sources, I find the widgets collect information for me very conveniently and save me a lot of looking around.:D

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
OK, I'll be the oppositional one!

I have a number of widgets that I use every day. While it is true that the information is available from other sources, I find the widgets collect information for me very conveniently and save me a lot of looking around.:D
Which ones do you use?

I almost never use my Dashboard and usually click on it by mistake and remember that it exists. :p

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Which ones do you use?

I almost never use my Dashboard and usually click on it by mistake and remember that it exists. :p

I use "Delivery Status", iStat Pro, a currency converter, a converter that gives weights, lengths, temperature and about 20 more measurements, a thingy that gives definitions of Technical Terms, and a couple of others.

I probably use stuff that other, more tech savvy folks, don't need.

Remember, I'm not too bright and I need all the help I can get.:p

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Yes, I use it a lot.

Just like I use a few carefully selected widgets on my Android phones, they are a fast and easy way to get info.

It's very handy and one of the features of using a Mac Computer.

printz

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2012
I have a terminal (WidgetTerm) residing in Dashboard, I think it's damn useful to get to terminal just by pressing a key.

I also have a command-line calculator, a Pastebin widget, a calendar, a currency converter, a numeric base converter, SVN notifiers and volume ejector (so I don't have to open Finder).

I wish there was a way to dock regular windows to the Dashboard, though. Most of the Google search results are about doing the reverse — moving the Dashboard to the desktop, like in Windows 7. Why the heck would I do that?

Unfortunately the Dashboard is clearly a feature that the average user doesn't need, or the one come from Windows doesn't expect. I'd hate to rely on crappy third-party solutions if Apple removes the Dashboard.

amack

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2006
Northern Ireland
I like the notes, always using the converter and calculator. I hate that it's not as accessible as it used to be, you know the way it used float over your desktop at the squeeze of a mouse. Or is there a way round that in 10.7.5?