Do you use dashboard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Habberkuk, May 31, 2013.

1. Habberkuk macrumors member

I've just read that Apple's widget download page is broken :confused:. I was just curious about if you guys would miss it. Personally I use the iStat Pro and some countdown widgets. What widgets do you use?

2. Bear macrumors G3

I think the only widget I'd really miss is Package Tracker.

3. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

OK, I'll be the oppositional one!

I have a number of widgets that I use every day. While it is true that the information is available from other sources, I find the widgets collect information for me very conveniently and save me a lot of looking around.:D

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Which ones do you use?

I almost never use my Dashboard and usually click on it by mistake and remember that it exists. :p

6. Sebct macrumors regular

Yep. Use it every day. I like having quick access to notes, unit converter, world clock, calculator etc.

7. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I use "Delivery Status", iStat Pro, a currency converter, a converter that gives weights, lengths, temperature and about 20 more measurements, a thingy that gives definitions of Technical Terms, and a couple of others.

I probably use stuff that other, more tech savvy folks, don't need.

Remember, I'm not too bright and I need all the help I can get.:p

8. maxosx macrumors 68020

Yes, I use it a lot.

Just like I use a few carefully selected widgets on my Android phones, they are a fast and easy way to get info.

It's very handy and one of the features of using a Mac Computer.

9. printz macrumors regular

I have a terminal (WidgetTerm) residing in Dashboard, I think it's damn useful to get to terminal just by pressing a key.

I also have a command-line calculator, a Pastebin widget, a calendar, a currency converter, a numeric base converter, SVN notifiers and volume ejector (so I don't have to open Finder).

I wish there was a way to dock regular windows to the Dashboard, though. Most of the Google search results are about doing the reverse — moving the Dashboard to the desktop, like in Windows 7. Why the heck would I do that?

Unfortunately the Dashboard is clearly a feature that the average user doesn't need, or the one come from Windows doesn't expect. I'd hate to rely on crappy third-party solutions if Apple removes the Dashboard.

10. amack macrumors member

I like the notes, always using the converter and calculator. I hate that it's not as accessible as it used to be, you know the way it used float over your desktop at the squeeze of a mouse. Or is there a way round that in 10.7.5?

11. macbook yes macrumors 6502

I use it everyday for the stickies, calculator, unit converter, and iStat.