Do you use Dashboard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by poiihy, Aug 30, 2014.

?

Do you use Dashboard?

1. Very often

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  2. Sometimes

4 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Not often

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Very rarely, almost/or never

10 vote(s)
    41.7%
  1. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Searched using Search and din't find any such topics like this. So

Do you use Dashboard?

2. illusionx macrumors 6502

Do you use Dashboard?

Yes. I use it for weather, calendar and istat pro.
    And ESPN during hockey season.

3. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

I use the sticky note and converter. As you can see, I keep the golden ratio handy as well as conversion from seconds to milliseconds, for my particular brand of mental impairment fosters distrust in my ability to remember how many spaces to move the decimal.

Attached Files:

4. Micky Do, Aug 30, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2014

Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

Several times daily

I have three clocks set to different time zones, and the Sun Clock which keeps track of night and day around the world. I also often use the Calendar.

Unit Converter, mainly for currency. I also use it to convert from the archaic imperial units still used by the USA and metric units used by most of the rest of the word.

The five day weather forecast is sometimes useful.

Right now I am listening to BBC Radio 2 using Phantom Gorilla's BBC Radio widget.

I often use the iTunes timer to put the computer to sleep after I have dozed off to the strains of music from one source or another, often the above mentioned Radio 2.

Then there is iStat pro to keep track of where the HDD storage is at. It also shows that the 5 GB of RAM is more than adequate for my needs at present.

I do open and use other widgets from time to time.

Dashboard opens at a click of the scroll wheel on my Logitech mouse. I would not like to see it go in some future iteration of OSX.

5. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

Yes, all the time. Specifically I use:

- Notefile
    - Delivery Status
    - iStat
    - TunesText for fetching and displaying iTunes lyrics, though the fetching party doesn't reallly seem to work anymore, so I've switched to Singer Song Reader for that
    - Web Clips
    Plus, the Stocks, Weather, Translation and Conversion Widget

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

7. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

I use it for several world clocks and a nifty parcel tracking app.

8. hagar macrumors 6502a

I use it all the time: have widgets that show me in real time the minutes for the next subway and tram. And I have a great radio player for streaming music. These are all web clips. This way I don’t have to keep a tab open in Safari just for those things.

I also have Delivery Status for deliveries of online purchases and some default OS X widgets.

I think Dashboard is great and I’m sure the new notification widgets in Yosemite cannot replicate it.

[​IMG]

In case you’re wondering: I have Dashboard in its own space and changed the ugly default background.

9. Gregg2 macrumors 603

calculator (floats over the top of Excel in full screen)
    calendar
    weather
    clock (for another time zone)

10. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

In the past I used it heavily. The calendar, "sticky notes," calculator, weather, and iStat Menus were things that I referenced multiple times per hour on most days. However, a few years later it seemed as if Apple were phasing out the Dashboard, and many of those Dashboard widgets weren't receiving updates needed to iron out small problems that were developing.

So instead of Dashboard, I switched over to apps that ran in the menubar, bought Bartender to keep it all organized, and gradually phased out Dashboard. At this point it's been months, perhaps years, since I used it.

11. mikecwest macrumors 6502a

mikecwest

I saw bring back Desktop Accessories. Going to the Apple Menu, choosing calculator and still having what ever app you want open was so much easier!

Bring back System 7! ( or did we lose them in System 6)