• No

Votes: 15 17.9%

• Total voters

NickD

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 25, 2007
Colorado
Simple as the title. Personally, I have it disabled with the freebie utility, "Bye Bye Dashboard". I've never used the widgets all that much. What about you guys?

NickD

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Yup, I count things down, check the date, stocks(just to see how companies are doing, I don't have any stock in them), list of things to buy, weather, and any other notes I need.

Also have MR app and iTunes app open, but most of the time, I use the full app for that stuff.

Bow Rekk

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2007
UK
Yeah. I could wish it was a bit less of a memory hog so I could squeeze out another few instruments from Logic (although I haven't run out yet...:p).

I use it for one of my googlemail accounts and did use it for both but the one uses the growlmail notifier thing now which I think is more efficient...

I am a bit reluctant to disable it as it is useful for weather, calendar, bluetooth texter etc...

What would be good is if I could turn it off completely when I am using something more important (Logic) that needs the processor and memory more. In fact, I hope leopard has this as it would be great.

Bow Rekk

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2007
UK
That is brilliant! I didn't realise you could turn it on and off so easily with that.

Thanks! :D

Bow Rekk

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2007
UK
Yeah, that's great if you never use it. If you just need to disable it to get more out of your computer this is perfect. I think I'll be using it a lot. :D

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
I use it at least once every 5 minutes! It's just really useful. But yes, it is a shame it has to use so much RAM, but I couldn't live without it. (Well I could, but... well you know what I mean)

My widgets:
MacRumors RSS
iLounge RSS
TUAW RSS
iStat Pro
Dictionary/Thesaurus
Calculator
Calendar
iTunes Stats
Currency Converter
Post-it Notes/Stickies

And they all fit neatly onto my 12" PowerBook's screen.

invasian

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2007
Houston
Yup. I use it...for istat pro, the weather, date, sticky notes, units conversion, and an image uploader widget...very handy and i bring it up with the middle mouse click

DanB91

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
yep, for the yellow pages thing, weather, stocks (just to see how much apple stock towers over m$ stock) and the calendar

Zwhaler

macrumors demi-god
Jun 10, 2006
I use dashboard all the time. Mostly for iStat, Weather, and MacRumors widget :D

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I use Dashboard for iStat Pro, Woot widget, countdown widget (set for High school graduation), weather widget, This day in history, calculator, and a Transfer time calculator. So yes, I do use Dashboard.

Royale w/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
I used to use it quite alot, but now I find myself rarely using it. I turned it off in hot corners and mighty mouse and it just doesn't cross my mind to use it too much anymore. I just checked it a few minutes ago, and I am sorry to say, it looks unfamiliar to me now, thats kind of sad. :(

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
I used to use it quite alot, but now I find myself rarely using it. I turned it off in hot corners and mighty mouse and it just doesn't cross my mind to use it too much anymore. I just checked it a few minutes ago, and I am sorry to say, it looks unfamiliar to me now, thats kind of sad. :(
if you don't use it, you don't use it. it's no big deal. it's not the highlight of mac os x. if i couldn't use spotlight or exposé or have super stability, then i'd suffer. but no dashboard = no big deal. :)

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
The only widgets I have active are the calculator, istat, and the calendar widget which I find particularly useful when looking several months in advance.

Royale w/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
if you don't use it, you don't use it. it's no big deal. it's not the highlight of mac os x. if i couldn't use spotlight or exposé or have super stability, then i'd suffer. but no dashboard = no big deal. :)
Well its not that I am ashamed that I don't use it, it's just that I thought it was pretty cool and used it all the time when I first got it. But yeah, spotlight, expose constantly, but I think I do use the "super stability" the most. :D

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I have to say, I didn't think I'd ever find a use for the dahsboard, and thought it was a silly idea when I first heard about it, but now I find myself using it VERY often. It makes sense as a place for things that you only need to reference or look at every once in a while, but would otherwise be a waste to dispaly on screen all of the time.

iStat Pro is pretty ubiquitous, and I use it. The calendar is also there on my dashboard, as well as the weather and weather radar, calculator and stocks.

And for what it's worth, Windows Vista's sidebar (which runs "gadgets") is a poor subsititute, primarily because it runs all those little things you only want to see once in a while, but the sidebar never goes away when no longer needed. It just stays there, taking up valuable desktop space. And is evidently more of a memory hog than widgets ever was.

jtrwallace

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA
it's simply too slow. i only wish that the istat desktop app could be updated because id really love to use that. i just can't find the will to enable dashboard again just for istat. i mean i have an iGoogle homepage and it has everything I'd ever want to know plus stattoo for the weather, mail, and ical. and its ALWAYS on the desktop semi transparent and non-clickable. much preferable in my opinion.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
I use dashboard all the time...most of all I use the iTunes remote (To go back/forth between songs). I also use the stickies...I have like 4 of them on right now. The weather widget is really inaccurate but I use it anyway, lol.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
I find it useful for iStat as well for stickies that I don't want cluttering my desktop.

Abracadra also comes in useful when I'm out and about as does the weather widget. I recently got an InterfaceLift widget to keep track of new wallpapers because I'm always on the look out for a nice wallpaper. :)

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
it's simply too slow. i only wish that the istat desktop app could be updated because id really love to use that. i just can't find the will to enable dashboard again just for istat. i mean i have an iGoogle homepage and it has everything I'd ever want to know plus stattoo for the weather, mail, and ical. and its ALWAYS on the desktop semi transparent and non-clickable. much preferable in my opinion.
how is dashboard too slow? you have a 2.4 ghz macbook pro. :confused: