Do You Use Dashboard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by NickD, Jul 21, 2007.

?

Do You Use Dashboard?

1. Yes

69 vote(s)
    82.1%
  2. No

15 vote(s)
    17.9%
  1. NickD macrumors 6502a

NickD

Simple as the title. Personally, I have it disabled with the freebie utility, "Bye Bye Dashboard". I've never used the widgets all that much. What about you guys?

NickD

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Yup, I count things down, check the date, stocks(just to see how companies are doing, I don't have any stock in them), list of things to buy, weather, and any other notes I need.

Also have MR app and iTunes app open, but most of the time, I use the full app for that stuff.

3. -kritter- macrumors regular

-kritter-

i use it for istat, the calculator sometimes, and checking the local weather...

4. Bow Rekk macrumors member

Yeah. I could wish it was a bit less of a memory hog so I could squeeze out another few instruments from Logic (although I haven't run out yet...:p).

I use it for one of my googlemail accounts and did use it for both but the one uses the growlmail notifier thing now which I think is more efficient...

I am a bit reluctant to disable it as it is useful for weather, calendar, bluetooth texter etc...

What would be good is if I could turn it off completely when I am using something more important (Logic) that needs the processor and memory more. In fact, I hope leopard has this as it would be great.

5. NickD thread starter macrumors 6502a

NickD

6. Bow Rekk macrumors member

That is brilliant! I didn't realise you could turn it on and off so easily with that.

Thanks! :D

7. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

8. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

why do you need to remove it. if you never activate it, it'll never open. just disable all the dashboard key-commands and don't enable any hot corners. is it that bad that you have to remove it? :confused:

9. Bow Rekk macrumors member

Yeah, that's great if you never use it. If you just need to disable it to get more out of your computer this is perfect. I think I'll be using it a lot. :D

10. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

I use it at least once every 5 minutes! It's just really useful. But yes, it is a shame it has to use so much RAM, but I couldn't live without it. (Well I could, but... well you know what I mean)

My widgets:
    MacRumors RSS
    iLounge RSS
    TUAW RSS
    iStat Pro
    Dictionary/Thesaurus
    Calculator
    Calendar
    iTunes Stats
    Currency Converter
    Post-it Notes/Stickies

And they all fit neatly onto my 12" PowerBook's screen.

[​IMG]

11. invasian macrumors regular

invasian

Yup. I use it...for istat pro, the weather, date, sticky notes, units conversion, and an image uploader widget...very handy and i bring it up with the middle mouse click

12. DanB91 macrumors 6502

yep, for the yellow pages thing, weather, stocks (just to see how much apple stock towers over m$ stock) and the calendar

13. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

iClip Lite and iCal events. THE reasons I use Dashboard. :)

14. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I use dashboard all the time. Mostly for iStat, Weather, and MacRumors widget :D

15. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I use Dashboard for iStat Pro, Woot widget, countdown widget (set for High school graduation), weather widget, This day in history, calculator, and a Transfer time calculator. So yes, I do use Dashboard.

16. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It's indispensable for me (stickies, iCal Events, weather, converter).

17. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

I used to use it quite alot, but now I find myself rarely using it. I turned it off in hot corners and mighty mouse and it just doesn't cross my mind to use it too much anymore. I just checked it a few minutes ago, and I am sorry to say, it looks unfamiliar to me now, thats kind of sad. :(

18. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

if you don't use it, you don't use it. it's no big deal. it's not the highlight of mac os x. if i couldn't use spotlight or exposé or have super stability, then i'd suffer. but no dashboard = no big deal. :)

19. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

The only widgets I have active are the calculator, istat, and the calendar widget which I find particularly useful when looking several months in advance.

20. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

Well its not that I am ashamed that I don't use it, it's just that I thought it was pretty cool and used it all the time when I first got it. But yeah, spotlight, expose constantly, but I think I do use the "super stability" the most. :D

21. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I have to say, I didn't think I'd ever find a use for the dahsboard, and thought it was a silly idea when I first heard about it, but now I find myself using it VERY often. It makes sense as a place for things that you only need to reference or look at every once in a while, but would otherwise be a waste to dispaly on screen all of the time.

iStat Pro is pretty ubiquitous, and I use it. The calendar is also there on my dashboard, as well as the weather and weather radar, calculator and stocks.

And for what it's worth, Windows Vista's sidebar (which runs "gadgets") is a poor subsititute, primarily because it runs all those little things you only want to see once in a while, but the sidebar never goes away when no longer needed. It just stays there, taking up valuable desktop space. And is evidently more of a memory hog than widgets ever was.

22. jtrwallace macrumors member

jtrwallace

it's simply too slow. i only wish that the istat desktop app could be updated because id really love to use that. i just can't find the will to enable dashboard again just for istat. i mean i have an iGoogle homepage and it has everything I'd ever want to know plus stattoo for the weather, mail, and ical. and its ALWAYS on the desktop semi transparent and non-clickable. much preferable in my opinion.

23. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

I use dashboard all the time...most of all I use the iTunes remote (To go back/forth between songs). I also use the stickies...I have like 4 of them on right now. The weather widget is really inaccurate but I use it anyway, lol.

24. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I find it useful for iStat as well for stickies that I don't want cluttering my desktop.

Abracadra also comes in useful when I'm out and about as does the weather widget. I recently got an InterfaceLift widget to keep track of new wallpapers because I'm always on the look out for a nice wallpaper. :)

25. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

how is dashboard too slow? you have a 2.4 ghz macbook pro. :confused: