Do you use different headphones for different uses? If so, what and when?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by gadgetfreak98, May 15, 2019.

1. gadgetfreak98 macrumors regular

In waiting for Powerbeats Pros to arrive, I realize I've inadvertently been acquiring multiple headsets over th years for different uses, and am wondering (1) if and how the Powerbeats will fit in, and (2) if there are others who have specialized tools for different occasions, and if so what and for when.

I will share mine. Right now, my routine is:
    • Air travel: Sony 1000xm3 (too bulky, too fiddly with crappy device handoff, and weird cold-weather sensitivity took them out of my daily commute rotation)
    • Sport / activity: Jabra Elite Active 65T (really a surprisingly great all-rounder. Very solid connection quality, great sound quality, super-secure fit, durable/weatherproof, compact). The primary downside is call quality
    • Daily commute: recently back to an old pair of Shure high-quality IEMs with the Shure lightning cable (and sometimes my Jabras)
    • Phone calls: Plantronics Voyager 5200 old school BT mono refurb headset (I'm repeatedly surprised by how good this is at blocking out my background noise in NYC). Was worth the $45 or so dollars for tough-environment calls
    So it'll be interesting to see if the Powerbeats can muscle in... or end up going back. I'd love to have something replace the Plantronics and be usable for other usage. Airpods might have been this, but they don't fit me.

Finally, if I could only have one device (and I realize I'm fortunate that's not the case), it would be the Jabras.

Curious to hear others' habits/thoughts...

2. Secubia macrumors newbie

I have three pairs of headphones that I switch between.

I use BeatsX for daily commute, for sports and at work for taking calls. I like the fact that I can comfortably wear them around my neck the whole day.

For travel I always pack my Urbanears Plattan ADV Wireless because they make it easy to share audio with a friend so we can watch a movie together if the other one brings wired headphones. Too bad they aren't multipoint, I switch computers/phones/tablets quite a lot, and the constant re-pairing is inconvenient.

At home I use the BeatsX for quick stuff like the occasional YouTube video or if I want to listen to a couple of songs (they're so easy to switch between my phone/iPad) If I'm listening for a longer period of time or need better audio quality, I'll bring out my wired Bose QC 25. I mostly use them for editing audio files for my fitness class or putting together playlists/creating mixes. They're also great for watching movies when the kids are asleep. Sometimes I put them on and turn on the noise cancellation without plugging them into anything, just enjoying the silence :D

3. dgreening macrumors regular

I currently have 3 pair in the rotation:
    1. AirPods - daily wear, keep them in my pocket at all times. Podcasts, music or anything else at work, or out shopping when I don't want to talk to anyone.
    2. Beats Studio wireless - use these for yard work - mowing, weed eating, edging. I like the coverage over the ears and the noise cancellation.
    3. PowerBeats Pro - working out. Great sound and blocks out enough for me in the gym, more than the AirPods. I was using those until I got the Pro's. Just had to have the volume up to high and I don't want to wear the over the ears Studio working out, they get in the way.

I know I could probably get away with 1 but I like having the options.

4. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Beats Studio 3 for work and travel
    Powerbeats Pro for gym and walking around (previously airpods)

5. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

Air/Commute/Noisy Office - Sony 1000xm3 or BeatsX
    Mowing Lawn - Sony 1000xm3 or some old Sony mdr-zx770bn's (NC makes huge difference)
    Phone Calls/Walking - AirPods
    Emergency backup - EarPods

I don't think that's overdoing it. Right tool for the right job, and all.

6. OBirder macrumors 6502

OBirder

At home for calls/music, calls while driving, calls not in the office: AirPods (small package, always with me)
    Airplane travel, work commute, noisy environment: Bose QC 35
    Office communication (Computer and cell phone): Jabra Evolve 75

7. retta283 macrumors 6502a

retta283

I've had the same pair of Sony's for too many years to remember. I actually don't even know the model number anymore. They've been very reliable, no need to replace them. I use them for just about everything, but I do have a pair of the iPod earbuds that I throw in when I need to travel light. Seems I got luck with this pair, they're about 12 years old and haven't broke. Don't sound as tinny as I remember either. Not great, but good enough for trips and whatnot. I haven't gone Bluetooth because I don't use my phone for music, and the iPods never got bluetooth.

8. NoBoMac macrumors 68020

Nothing fancy. When I have/had nice wired earpieces, have damaged the connectors due to cable getting snagged on doors, knobs, my arms when running (windy days, cable blows into the arm, always forget to run the cable up the shirt), etc. And in the case of Bluetooth, most do not have replaceable batteries, so, have something paid some big-ish coin for and will need to toss. Add in not listening in ideal audio situations, do not see need for premium audio.

So, I have a $30 Altec pair for running. Have an old pair of Anker Slim+ that always had a bad battery that I take to the gym and hiking (more comfortable than the Altecs, but not as good re: interference and cutting out vs Altecs [gym and hiking do not have dropping issues that open road does: some cell towers that seem to interfere on my routes]). At home, have a set of JVC on ears (half off). Backup is wired cheap Vava earbuds: nice sound, cheap, comfortable, had them for years.

I'm out of pocket something like $75. If one of them die, get damaged, lost, no big whoop. Can replace easily and still under the cost of fancy listening devices.

9. velo macrumors member

My ears can be sensitive to comfort issues so I always have different kinds. Plus not every headphone/earphone is appropriate for all situations.

Bose QC25 for travelling. Still prefer a cable and AAA battery when using IFE.
    Bose Soundlink II headphones to give the ear canals a rest from;
    Blueant true wireless buds for daily workouts.
    Wired Shure and FiiO in-ears for better sound quality.
    Tenmak in-ears + bluetooth cable when I don't want to be physically connected to a source.

10. Donnation macrumors demi-god

Donnation

Bose Quiet Comfort II - Travel, Movie watching
    Airpods 2 - Phone calls, casual music listening
    Powerbeats Pro - working out/running

11. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Bose QC-35 air travel, snow blowing and when I don’t want to be bothered
    Airpods - casual walking, at the desk or phone conferences
    Beats power beats 3 - any type of activity
    --- Post Merged, May 16, 2019 ---
    I should have ditto’ed your post

12. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

Just Airpods 2. My plan was to get the Powerbeats Pro into the rotation for my heavy workouts. Unfortunately, the sound quality is so similar to Airpods that I couldn't justify the cost or hassle of having multiple headphones. I never use headphones for any critical listening, but can appreciate some of the quality leaps these days that the higher end brands have made.

13. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

This is my rotation:

• Bose quiet comfort 35: for air travel and use with the Apple TV when my wife is watching something else in the same room with me.
    • Beats studio 3: for daily commuting and use in the office
    • Bose Soundsport free: for working out

14. linkgx1 macrumors 68000

Beats Solo3 (got with Mac): Mainly using during weightlifting until blue PowerBeats Arrive
    Bose QC35II: Mainly travel and work
    Cloudhyper X: PC gaming/activities

But yeah with glasses and everything, I feel like i need a pair for everything. I loved the airpods because they are out of the way and easy to take out. But sold them to my friend thinking the Airpod 2s would be a true sequel.

15. benshive macrumors regular

I use my AirPods for basically everything (calls at work, music, podcasts). I have a pair of Beats Studio 3 that I keep at home for when I want better audio quality than the AirPods but I don't use them much.