Do you use emojis?

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by profmatt, Nov 11, 2016.

1. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

I really don't get this obsession Apple seems to have with releasing new emojis. They even highlighted them in the launch of the new MacBook Pro.

Am I just old? I'll admit to adding a smiley face at the end of a message sometimes, but there seem to be hundreds of these things and what the hell is the point?

2. essiw macrumors member

Not only Apple, but apparently all websites reporting about Apple, like macrumors, have an emoji fetish as well... You are certainly not the only one thinking like this. I do not consider myself that old (25), and I don't use them, and if I would I would certainly not be like "wow more new emoji" as there are already to many to scroll through.

I do remember however that when I was 12 and MSN messenger was still hot I frequently used all emoticons back then, and really liked them. I also notice that certain other people who whatsapp a lot both older (twice as old as me) and younger, also like to use them. My guess is that these are just a hot topic for some user groups and that we both do not belong in this user group.

Nevertheless, I will bet that even those in the user groups that use emoji's do not see the need of the intensive highlight of new emoji's by either Apple or news sites. They will probably be like: "nice some new emoji's" for 3 seconds if they discover them and continue their day like they normally would.

3. pacorob macrumors 68000

pacorob

I also don't get what all the fuss was/is about the iMessage and 'new' emoji's that were added to support. I almost never use those. I do like to use a GIF now and again in WhatsApp though. I'm 36 years old :)

4. foxconn Suspended

5. beernut macrumors 6502

back in the day there used to be these things with sticky backs to apply to physical paper (or clothes, or foreheads, or etc.) to convey feeling without words

[​IMG]

emojis are the same, except they're electronic, more expressive, and less sticky ;)

6. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

7. hallidc macrumors 6502

hallidc

I use them but only 5 of them really. I don't mind them, but seeing some individuals substitute every word with an emoji just grinds my gears.

8. Nick11Mac macrumors 6502

Nick11Mac

A few of them, but generally I like to use words.

9. Simacca macrumors 6502a

Simacca

43 years young, male and use them most of the time.

10. silbeej macrumors 6502a

I use rarely emojis, but what really holds me back from using them is not that i dislike them...it's that it takes so much time scrolling through to find what i want, or i don't know the exact "meaning" behind two that look very similar, but is bound to be taken the complete wrong way lol

11. GIZBUG macrumors 65816

GIZBUG

No I never use emojis I'm 38 and find them completely dumb

12. Lappen71 macrumors regular

Lappen71

Use the basic ones in almost all my iMessage and SMS.

13. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I'm 27 and mostly just use the basic ones too. You think emoji is bad? There was a time when rainbow wavy text was a thing.

14. RansZ28 macrumors regular

RansZ28

I use them all the time. I like to show expression rather than just text!

15. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

maybe once every 2 weeks and generally just the simple smile one:)

16. -BigMac- macrumors 6502a

-BigMac-

17. Mefisto macrumors 6502

Mefisto

34/M, and sometimes I do use them, and just because they're there for me to use. I've conducted whole conversations (admittedly completely devoid of any discernible, even barely intellectual content) using just emojis with a couple of pals. Brings out a giggle when you're lying on the couch while battling a hangover.

When I don't want to use them, I don't have to and they stay hidden. Isn't life and having choices grand?

Now if it's fonts you want to discuss next, (adult) people using comic sans should be hanged, drawn and quartered. Or simply reeducated by other, maybe less severe means.

18. Bathplug macrumors 6502a

19. IndianBird macrumors 6502a

20. essiw macrumors member

Nah you can still use comic sans, though you will need to be either under 15 years old or your target audience needs to be under 15. Wait, thoes this mean that emojis are the new comic sans?

21. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

Yes.

Like anything else, they're not appropriate to all communication, but I'm a 42 year-old woman, and I definitely use them.

I don't understand the characterization of Apple's approach as "obsession," though. They're part of the international committee, right, so they participate in the decision-making process as to what is added. Then they add the emojis to the keyboard we have access to. Where's the obsession? Am I missing something?

22. Mefisto, Nov 13, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2016

Mefisto macrumors 6502

Mefisto

The obsession is in the minds of some of the readers of MacRumors. And at it's core it has nil to do with emojis, but that's an easy outlet and another topic of conversation altogether.