Do you use extentions like Ad block?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DJTaurus, Jul 20, 2012.

1. DJTaurus macrumors 65816

DJTaurus

Did you see any speed improvements on your safari after using ad block?

Also whats the point of Safari option to block pop up windows when it doent block them (torrents search for example)

2. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

I use it mainly to remove annoying flash adds. On one specific site I use it to remove all headers and logo's so I can visit that site while negociating with customers so they cannot see who my suplier is.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No plugins for me. No particular reason, just I prefer safari to be plugin free :)

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Yes, I use AdBlock and DoNotTrack+. I'm considering subscribing to a service called DeleteMe (also by Abine, provider of DoNotTrack+).

I zealously protect whatever minimal amount of privacy still available to me. It may not be much, but I'll do all I can to preserve what little remains.

5. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

ClickToPlugin ?

6. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I prefer Chrome. When I do use Safari, I use an ad blocker. To me, using the internet without an ad blocker is like stumbling around in a dark alley hoping to find something useful under heaps of garbage and manure. I'm appalled at how many popups, popunders, moving, noisy, distracting ads come up when I use a "naked" browser.

Using the internet without blockers is also comparatively unsafe. The few viable malware attacks in OS X almost all rely on weaknesses in Safari.

7. Dviper27 macrumors member

I have chrome, and I use it and LOVE it. It blocks all those annoying Youtube ads.

8. Alameda, Jul 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2012

Alameda macrumors 6502a

Alameda

I've used Adblock Plus on Firefox for over two years. I never have a problem with it and certainly web pages load faster when they aren't downloading as much content. It also makes web pages easier to use because you aren't distracted. I attached pictures of MacRumors.com to give you a comparison between with and without using Adblock Plus. MacRumors isn't bad at all, there are many sites that are utterly plastered with ads which Adblock will keep away.

Attached Files:

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

I use both adblock and flashblock. I wouldn't run without them unless it was for some testing.

I've never checked the performance; I just love not having the ads and worst of all the popup flash ads that play sound very loudly.

10. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Though I don't use Safari. I do use addons for Firefox such as Adblock Plus, Flashblock, Downloadthemall, Download helper, XMarks, &c. They do speed up my browsing experience considerably and improve it by giving me more control and syncing browsers.

I also tweak Firefox in about:config.