Do you use iCloud on your mac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DramaLLama, Jun 29, 2013.

1. DramaLLama macrumors 6502

Does anyone here use iCloud for text documents and stuff on your macs? I tend to use SkyDrive so I can view it on my phone as well as have it backed up in the cloud, but my storage space isn't going to last forever.. do you guys find iCloud useful or more of a feature that's just kind of there and not really integrated well?

2. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

I find Notes and synchronized Safari bookmarks to be incredibly useful and highly integrated.

Now, I wouldn't call Notes much of a text editor, but man it's nice to be able to write something one place, but to see it and be able to edit it anywhere.

3. benwiggy macrumors 68020

For calendars, notes, contacts, etc, it can't be beaten. For documents, it's pretty rubbish, unless you're using the Apple iWork apps.
    I use DropBox for syncing my "current" workload.

I also use Chronosync to do a thorough sync of my two Mac's Documents folder, but that's not a remote syncing cloud thingy.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I just don't trust it enough yet. Apple manage to leak email for our @me addresses, then I won't be saving anything to the cloud yet either...Besides which, when you start costing it out, the are not that cheap either....For now, backup is a 3TB TC and a Pegasus R4. Also use a WD 2TB USB3 external with my rMBP.

I'm not that worried about data loss with my present set-up, but will soon need to expand the T/Bolt hardware...Prices on the Promise kit remain high, but I've seen some of the cheaper stuff in action, and it just doesn't achieve real time speeds...I guess I'll add in an R8 or R12...Maybe I can wangle a little discount.

5. Bear macrumors G3

I'm using iCloud on OS X for some of what it can be used, including one application that syncs between OS X and iOS. I'm not worried about that apps data since it encrypts it.

On iOS I also have iBooks syncing data and so when Mavericks is released that will be another app that syncs across to OS X.

If I ever get Pages for iOS, I'd use iCloud to sync documents that I wanted to work with on my iPad.