Do you use last.fm?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AJ Muni, Jun 17, 2007.

1. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

I tried searching, but couldn't find a thread about this. So does anyone here use it? I started using it about 2 days ago, and I think its great. For those for you who don't know what it is, is a social networking site but with music. Pretty much logs what you've played in itunes, and logs it onto the site. It then give you information on similar artists, and other users with similar taste. Blahh I'm talking too much.. check it out:

last.fm

and my profile: AJ Muni

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Yeh I set up an account recently, it's great!

http://www.last.fm/user/haircutalex

That's me. The artist page I manage is Drafts on a Theme, some of the lounge tracks I make if anybody wants to chill...

3. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

4. Alt10 macrumors newbie

Alt10

I think it's great to find similar artists.
    And the radio function is cool when your not in front of your own computer :)

I was also looking forward to Pandora, but they only do U.S..... (Something with music rights.....)

http://www.last.fm/user/Alt_10/

5. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Bah. I tried Last.fm. It saw that I listen to Deadman (http://www.deadmanonline.com/) which is folkish music but it assumed it was some Japanese rap band called Deadman. Now it thinks I listen to Japanese rap all the time. And I can't fix it. It won't let me, and Last.fm says there is nothing I can do about it.

So yeah, I don't use it anymore.

6. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Not a big fan....I like to control my music....thats why I use my iPod over the radio. In the morning I'll listen to the radio because the DJ is good, and so if the music. And I don't need to worry about wiping my iPod out

7. true777 macrumors 6502a

true777

I *love* last.fm!

I find it phenomenal! So enjoyable to use, and really useful finding new music that's spot-on your taste. I have rare taste in music, so it's great to find people with similar taste and see what else they're listening to -- what a fantastic service.

http://www.last.fm/user/true777/

Attached Files:

8. bartelby macrumors Core

9. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

10. cube macrumors G4

The problem is that there is a lot of tag spamming.

I think pandora.com is more accurate, as it is based on the Music Genome Project, but it is only available in USA.

11. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

12. AJ Muni thread starter macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

It doesn't control your music. You pretty much play what you want in itunes or your ipod, and it logs it. I rarely use the radio player on there as well, but I think its real cool how you can find people with similar taste in music. For example, you might have a play count of a certain song that is extremely high, and I'll be like "Hmmm..this might be good, he/she must like, let me check it out" and then bam! new artist/band for me. I just think its great if you really love music, and want to explore other artists.

Thats exactly what I was hoping for.

13. AJ Muni thread starter macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

You need to use iScrobbler, which is a real good alternative to the last.fm client (too buggy).

14. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I tend to be more of a Pandora guy myself, but with all the buzz about Last.FM lately, perhaps I should take a look at it...

15. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Patrick Wolf rulllessss.

Here's Mine

16. eMac4ever macrumors regular

eMac4ever

17. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Yes. I love it and i also have the Last.fm app for Facebook so it displays my last played songs! I don't use it to network that much but its fun to see what other people listen to and sometimes if im bored with my library i'll do some radio from it.

http://www.last.fm/user/rockxcasbah/

18. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Nah, If I want radio, there's one on my nightstand. :)

19. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

i dont use it for radio if i want radio o turn on xm

20. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Yes (when I remember to turn on iScrobbler), because it's an easy-to-use automatically generated suggestion list. That and because of the "Events" calendar -- I love this feature -- but I don't use any of the other social networking aspects. In fact I wish I could disable the "Neighbourhood" area all together. It has its issues, but it's a good gateway. Great site and service.

When I really want to take initiative and dig in and get great suggestions I use Pandora (as was mentioned a couple times in this thread). I love Pandora.