Do you use lock orientation?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mortalias, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Mortalias macrumors 6502

Mortalias

I've noticed most people I know with an iPad never use the built in lock orientation switch. I keep mine locked in portrait orientation all the time, as the constant switching at the slightest movement drives me crazy. :p

Anyone else make use of the lock orientation swtich?

2. number84 macrumors 6502

I use it when lying down only. Never had a problem other times.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I keep flipping the rotation lock on and off all the time. Mostly I lock it when I'm reading in Instapaper or iBooks, because I get tired of the text rotating when I move around. But then I switch to another app that works better in landscape, so I unlock the rotation so it'll flip to landscape. Then I go back to Instapaper and lock it again in portrait, then back to Safari which I want in landscape, etc, etc.

4. jdsipod macrumors member

Yes, Always

I always have mine locked in portrait, it's just easier to have it always locked then when needed flip the lock switch off

5. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

I asked the same question few months ago! Link: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1223614

I have mine locked to Landscape orientation!

6. Ashka macrumors 6502a

Ashka

I keep the iPad locked when using it in bed and when using the map app (GPS) in the truck as a passenger. Easier to tip the map up the other way at times.
    Rest of the time it's unlocked.. portrait for split keyboard typing and landscape for surfing. :)

7. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

I mostly use it (locked in landscape) when I'm lying down, or browsing photos where some are turned on their side.

8. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I use my iPad in different positions and leave it unlocked. The screen rotates when handling but does as I need when I get to work. I do not think I have ever even used the lock feature.

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

yes mine is always locked in whichever position i have. it. i prefer to read in portrait and view websites etc in landscape so i often switch between the two. i am so glad that they reversed course in the switch to allow for it to be a lock switch rather than just mute.

10. jaynone macrumors member

same here

And on my iPhone its on 98% of the time. Can't stand landscape orientation.

11. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

I lock mine if I'm reading something into portrait. And if I'm using it flat on a table I'll lock it so then it can't rotate and then I have to pick it up and get it back onto the way I want it.

12. redscull macrumors 6502a

redscull

My iPhone is usually locked in portrait since most iPhone apps look best that way anyway and I move it a lot more.

I only lock my iPad when I am reading iBooks in bed. Usually, my iPad orientation is not locked even though I pretty much only use it landscape unless an app absolutely doesn't run right that way. But I don't find myself ever fighting the automatic rotation except when lying in bed.

But I keep the physical switch set to muting since I toggle that a lot more often and don't want to have to log in just to mute it. I don't mind logging in to lock the orientation because there is no purpose to orientation lock unless I am in fact logged in (whereas it's very common to want to toggle muting without actually being logged in).

13. jailwut wunnow macrumors member

Always locked in landscape and I only switch to portrait for iBooks reading.

14. Jen78 macrumors newbie

Yes

I use it often when reading in bed and occasionally with other apps. I would not keep it on all the time though.

15. mrboult macrumors 6502

mrboult

Yes. A lot of people use it regularly.

This was proven with a noticeable outcry from users when apple changed the physical switch to a mute switch (no option to change it) a few OS back.

So many people were upset with the change that Apple relented and gave users the option, that now appears in Settings, to use the external switch as Rotation Lock or Mute.

16. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Quite often. I hate not having lock orientation on my iPhone, as I would use that more than silence.

17. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

For general usage I am pretty much allways locked in landscape. Even when reading in iBooks or Kindle apps.

The only thing I switch to portrait for is reading scripts, which I do quite a bit. They're great in portrait.

18. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a

I always keep the "lock" option, since the iPad turns volume down so quick I don't see the need to use it for mute.

19. AQUADock macrumors 65816

AQUADock

yes all the time, I think that the option should be default.

20. bmacir macrumors 6502

21. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Very rarely. Content does NOT switch "at the slightest movement".

22. Skika macrumors 68030

A handy feature, i use it quite. Especially for browsing in bed or when i am just certain i will need it in one orientation or the other i just lock it to that.

23. donnaw macrumors 65816

I keep mine locked in landscape. I only change it when I use FaceTime. For some reason I just find it easier to hold when using FaceTime.

24. DankNugz macrumors regular

There is a lock orientation option on the iPhone. I use it everyday. Press the home button twice to bring up the tray and then swipe to the right. Its next to the iTunes controls.

25. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

I use it mostly when lying down and reading something, which is generally every night. It's what my switch is set to do :)