Do you use Migration Assistant?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zooby, Jan 14, 2016.

1. zooby, Jan 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  2. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

Yes, but it may depend if your old SSD has a OS version that will boot your new MBP.
    Could you provide more information about this?
    It could, but I have used Migration Assistant multiple times with excellent results. The only time I had a problem was when I tried using Migration Assistant to go from OS 10.4 (PPC) to OS 10.7 (Intel) because it was too incompatible. In that case nothing happened. It tried for awhile then stopped. Nothing was harmed or corrupted. I then had to do the more manual installation copying files and installing 3rd party apps.
    Here is Apple instructions that might help.

3. zooby, Jan 14, 2016

zooby thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

2) I understand about booting to the SSD now. Your first post said your old MBP had a failed logic board and you were buying a new MBP soon. No mention of already having the new MBP. I do not know why your Safari extensions would not be there when booting from the old SSD. That does not make sense. How would the data on your old SSD get changed? I do know that Migration Assistant does not overwrite your Apple apps, just move settings/preferences.

3) It is not a clean install if you move settings. It is just more convenient and saves time to use Migration Assistant and it has worked fine for me. Read the link I provided to see what is/can be transferred (pay special attention to the "Select information to Transfer" picture). It does transfer app settings and system preferences. It should transfer messages, but I did not have any myself. You could try using Migration Assistant, see how it works for you. If you do not like the results then do a clean install.

5. zooby, Jan 16, 2016

6. Fishrrman macrumors G4

I'd try Migration Assistant first.

If you don't like the results, "wipe" the new MacBook and start over...

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

You can use Migration Assistant all day, everyday. This isn't Windows 95, the days where clean installs really matter are long gone IMO.

8. zooby, Jan 17, 2016

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

I'm not quite sure why you insist on installing them from scratch. It makes absolutely no difference unless you were having trouble with it in the first place, and even then, chances are the install isn't to blame.

But no, you cannot restore "just the settings" after having downloaded it from VLC's site, you either restore the app or you don't.

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes... VLC's settings are in ~/Library/Application Support/org.videolan.vlc and ~/Library/Preferences/org.videolan.vlc.plist and both those areas will be copied over with the user account even if you do not copy over Applications. So if you later installed VLC, it would pick up the settings from those files. (~ is your user folder)