Do You Use Mission control Exclusively or Swipe Between Full Screen Apps?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by HappyDude20, Feb 7, 2012.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I've had Lion since day one, like most of you.

Like a good amount of you, I miss Spaces and Expose from Snow Leopard.

I guess i'm here asking if you use Mission Control or the swipe feature to maneuver between full screen apps in Lion? I ask, considering Mission Control doesn't (yet) exist on the iPad and figure some people would use only the swiping feature... yet, as someone who has both devices, I use Mission Control on my Mac, though admittedly secretly long and yearn for Spaces in Lion.

Sorry, guess I really miss Spaces. I miss it so much. I wish I could somehow get it in Lion. I know I can get it on iOS, though it costs a few bucks, though totally worth it.

2. Kasalic macrumors regular

Sorry but I don't miss it one bit, which is strange because I loved it on SL. I find on both 20" iMac and 13" MBA I use just swipe left and right to switch between desktops. The only machine I use that I have a problem with is an older MacBook without a Multitouch Pad. Then I resort to using CTRL+left/right, which I find to be very clunky.

3. Piplodocus macrumors regular

I don't miss it at all. I always liked the Spaces idea but it wasn't very practical. Now with swiping, or accessing and re-arranging them in Expose/Mission Control, it's FAR better IMHO.

Sometimes I swipe, sometimes I use MC. If I'm going back and forth repeatedly between 2 apps in adjacent screens a lot I swipe (e.g. between my music software and my external audio hardware controls). If I want something that's somewhere in a space, possibly even behind stuff in my current one, I use mission control (trying to find a web page/finder window).

Only thing I don't really ever use is launchpad (or whatever it's called - the iPad/iPhone type screen). I don't have to though so it doesn't bother me. I'm all for alternative ways of working as long as I don't have to use them if I don't want!

4. jasonvp macrumors 6502a

jasonvp

I don't use full screen apps at all, but I do use several desktops. The only time I open up Mission Control is to move a window between desktops. Otherwise it's using the swipe to go between desktops.

jas

5. CodeBreaker macrumors 6502

Swipe when they are adjacent, MC when they are not. My apps are assigned like this: Desktop1 -- Xcode (full screen) -- Safari (full screen) -- iChat (Desktop 2) -- Mail (full screen) -- Photoshop (Desktop 3) and an extra Desktop 4.

And yes, I do miss Spaces, the main reason being that we were able to see all open windows with one glance and it was easier to jump screens.

I have no idea how full screen apps would had fit in Spaces, but I would love to get them back.

6. waynep macrumors 6502

I did not use spaces but was new to the Mac a year ago. I don't use full screen on my apps. With my 17" mpb, I don't feel the need to go full screen much. I sometimes do when doing something that will take a while in iPhoto. I just command-tab to switch apps. Since I came from a PC world recently and still use Windows at work, it's the same key stroke combination as alt-tab to switch windows.

7. motorazr macrumors 6502

motorazr

The Frozen Waste...wait. Duluth, Minnesota.
    I still really, really miss expose .... I feel that the new spaces + expose the way it was would be a great combination, but I almost never use mission control. I do swipe between full screen programs occasionally, but the full screen system is mis-designed I feel, seeing as my second display ends up blank vs. two full screen apps at once or something useful.

8. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I hate using the mouse pointer itself to select things, so I use the swipe gestures and Cmd-Tab to move between open apps, including full screen applications. Usually I have only Mail open in full screen, which means it sits just to the write of my main Space, so it's a simple swipe left or right. I rarely have even three Spaces going at once.

jW