Do you use more than one battery with your MacBook Pro/MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iBookG4user, Apr 9, 2007.

?

Do you use more than one battery with your MacBook Pro/MacBook?

1. I use one battery

83 vote(s)
    83.0%
  2. I use two or more batteries

17 vote(s)
    17.0%
  1. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I was just wondering if people commonly used more than one battery with their MacBook Pro or MacBook (Also iBook or PowerBook). I use 2 batteries with my MacBook Pro because I use it for school.

2. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

I have a C2D MB and I only use one. I don't want to pay for a second battery plus I who wants to carry another one around with them. And you would have to switch around in your MB to charge both of them and junk. A lot of work when most places has a outlet somewhere where you can just plug in.

The Stig

3. orangemacapple macrumors 6502

i used to know a guy that carried around 2 extra batteries for his cell phone.

nobody ever called him, but he was ready just in case someone wanted to.

4. Boognoss macrumors newbie

Boognoss

When I had a Windows laptop I had two batteries but rarely needed to swap to the 2nd one. Now with my MBP I didn't bother to buy a spare battery. I'm rarely away from power for long anyway. One battery for me.:)

5. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

Granted it is a powerbook, but yes I use two batteries. One which is kind of dead and the other in very nice standing.

6. tngisaga macrumors member

just one battery for me. it seems like a hassle to carry around two batteries and charging them. one is good enough for me.

7. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I just got my MBP yesterday, so I still have everything to get. With my PowerBook though, yes. I always had an extra battery in the case just in case. I also like having two power supplies. One sits at home and the other in the bag with the extra battery.

8. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

i use my MBP for school as well. but i only use one battery and carry the power brick along.

9. BlackDan macrumors 6502

I used to use 2 batteries on an older Toshiba laptop, but I don't anymore. My iBook had such long battery life, I didn't even consider getting a 2nd battery at the time. (and after 3 yrs the battery is still in very good shape).

My MBP doesn't last as long though, so maybe one day...

If I may suggest something to Apple: make the top cover of the MBP a solar panel, this way we can just lay it out in the sun to charge and I don't need to haul around that large charger that comes with the new notebooks :cool:
    (would work better on a ultra-low-power-flash-drive-13" though)

10. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

I bet now you wished you'd chosen a different starting nick :)

11. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

I always carry an extra with me because sometimes we have lectures the whole day, in which case the single battery is not going to last me the day.

It's really no hassle with my Crumpler Base Toucher :D

12. andrewag macrumors 6502

I would like to have a second battery for "just in case" but it's hard to justify the expense. I've never had my computer run out of battery when I've needed it so yeah, it would be a waste, but nice.

13. gavd macrumors 6502a

I only have 1 battery. I don't tend to go anywhere I'd use the whole life of a battery without being able to plug it in to recharge it.

14. iBookG4user thread starter macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Maybe I'll just rename my MacBook Pro to an iBook and I'll have the fastest iBook in the world :cool:.

15. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I'm only using one battery at the moment. Haven't really considered using two until I saw this thread... now that I've seen it, I might use two batteries, since I use my MBP for school stuff.

16. dailo macrumors regular

I have a second battery, but I only use it when I am traveling and don't have access to an AC outlet or when I am too lazy to bring my power adapter. I also use Coolbook to change to underclock my processor down to 1GHz to give me extra battery life when I don't need the processing power. I can get around 3.5-4 hours by doing this per battery so with both batteries I can easily last a plane flight :)

17. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

LOL!!

18. iBookG4user thread starter macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Wow this poll certainly is one sided. I thought that using two or more batteries would be more common than this.

19. mustard macrumors 6502a

mustard

I used two batteries when I was on the move with my older PowerBook but with moving to the MBP it hasn't really presented the "I need to have a second battery" situation.

20. Kaiser Phoenix macrumors 6502

Is it just me or do i feel slightly sorry for this guy...hope someone does call him :)

I only use 1 battery but I hope Apple will introduce a High capacity battery for the macbook pro, like how other companies release a high capacity version of their batteries like Sony.

21. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

you're not alone, i think it's quite sad too.

22. BlackDan macrumors 6502

Let's all start calling him :D I bet he'd love to be called by several thousand people day and night :rolleyes:

23. TomGolden macrumors member

TomGolden

Since this is my very first laptop (and first Mac), the friend who got it for me via his then employement at Apple, strongly suggested I get a second battery, which I did. I switch between them regularly, usually after I run each one down and fully recharge it about every 4 or 5 times. That way they stay about even with each other in terms of total recharge cycles and amount of use.

24. mpw Guest

I have two batteries so I can be free of carrying a charger when out and about, but if Apple is reading this here are some free ideas;

• The charger came with a little plastic dust cap for when it wasn't plugged in, so did my iMac's keyboard. My spare battery cost a ****ing fortune and could've done with a sleeve of some sort to cover the contacts whilst swimming about my bag.
    • Any chance of a charger for the battery so I can charge the spare battery while out with the MacBook?
    • The power brick is too big, at least the UK 3pin plug version is as the pins don't fold like I believe the US version does. This makes it a pain to pack.
    • Release a 10 or 11" MacBook Pro Lite please. No optical drive required and give some of the saved room over to a bigger battery, make it 30/40Gig of flash memory too and that should save power over a HDD shouldn't it?

25. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

I only use one battery but I use TWO power cords. One I keep at work and the other, here, at home. It's much easier to have my two desks "hard wired" for power and just use the battery between sites (and not have to deal with rolling up and packing the power cord each time). ;)