Do you use multitasking gestures or just the homebutton?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Nevzorus, Mar 18, 2012.

?

Do you use the homebutton or the multitasking gestures?

1. I use the multitasking gestures all the time!

52.4%
  2. I use the multitasking gestures instead of the homebutton sometimes.

24.8%
  3. I use the homebutton all the time!

15.2%
  4. What multitasking gestures?! :O

7.6%
  1. Nevzorus macrumors 6502

Hi! After iOS 5 came out, all the people with iPads could hve multitasking gestures instead of having to use the homebutton. This was a big thing for me because i hate the homebutton on my iPhone. The homebutton has really many problems and after a year of using it, it stops working sometimes. I thought it would be fun to see if you still use the homebutton or if you always use the gestures. Do you have any complains about the homebutton or the gestures? Write it here and discuss! (Keep the thread alive)

I hope i know how to make a poll, rofl.

2. jschu22 macrumors regular

When I got bored of the iPhone and went to Android (I know, I know) for a few months, I got in the habit of using the four finger drag up to multitask. Once I went back, I got out of the habit because I'm so used to double pressing the home button on the iPhone. I've never really used the five finger pinch but I'm going to try and get used to it. Regardless of whether its easier or not, it is a lot cooler way of going to the home screen.

3. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Been in the habit of the home button since I used the orignal iPad for so long - just got used to doing it that way.

4. Kyllle macrumors 6502

Yeah I turned off gestures one time for a while and constantly caught myself doing the five finger pinch to go to the home screen.
    I didn't realize how much I use them until I turned it off.

5. RealSkyDiver macrumors 6502

I didn't even know there where gestures for multitasking :eek:!!!
    Lmao I always used the homebutton which didn't bother me on the iPhone, but got a bit annoyed since I got my iPad because of it's size.

6. LanEvo macrumors 6502

7. Nevzorus thread starter macrumors 6502

I really like the multitasking gestures, it looks nice when you close the apps etc. I wouldnt want my iPad's homebutton to get destroyed, so having that option would be GREAT on the iPhone :D

I hope more people votes!

8. Nevzorus thread starter macrumors 6502

Can more people vote? :D I wan't to see if more people uses the multitasking gestures ^^

9. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I use them a lot.

Swipe up for multitasking and pinch for home screen are my favorites.

10. 100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

I'm sill getting use to gestures and it is pretty cool. I use it when I remember. :)

11. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

I definitely use the swipe up for multitasking and five finger pinch to close an app all the time, though it took some time to train myself. I had gotten so accustomed to using the home button. I still often forget that I can side swipe to multitask as well.

I wish we had forward/backward swiping for Safari as already exists in Lion.

12. Nevzorus thread starter macrumors 6502

I hate that when you're in an app and you want to multitask really fast to the other app, you just swipe to the left or right. That's not what i hate but, if you now swipe up for the multitasking thing to come up and you close some apps, you can still visit those apps you closed if you're still left in the app when you close the other apps in the multitasking thing by swiping left or right.

Oh gosh, i suck at explaining things in English.. rofl.. Did someone understand?

13. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I turned them off, because I have apps that respond to 3-and-more finger touches and they were occasionally getting confused with the gestures.

14. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

15. rdiz17 macrumors member

Started using the gestures more. They are much more fluid than they were on the iPad 1.

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I tried multi-touch gestures, but find it faster to just push the home button.

17. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Once you get used to using them they work very well on the iPad 2 and the new one.

A simple quick flick of four fingers up to reveal the multitasking tray. A pinch to close an app.

The problem is most people just don't know they exist.

18. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

I use both cause sometime I forget about gestures and use the home button instead :eek:
    But I do love the gestures and will get used to using them more.

19. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I use multitouch gestures in order to multi-task.

For example, I had Google Docs open in a browser and I needed to copy and paste some information from several fields into a document I was working on in Pages.

I used the 4 finger swipe to swipe back and forth and it was nice and fast! Kind of like ALT-Tabbing for the iPad.

Much faster than clicking the home button, locating Safari, opening it, copying, then clicking the home button again, locating pages, tapping the icon, etc.

I am surprised these gestures are not played up more often when discussing productivity on the iPad.

20. newdeal macrumors 68020

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/6.5.27452/27.1350; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/11.10)

I turned them off because my kid always hits the screen with her finger and she's small so it registers as a gesture and exits the program or does something else. she is only 22 months old so she can't help it but I wish apple had a way to disable the home button, touch screen, gestures etc like you can when jailbroken

21. Ndhusmc macrumors newbie

If I'm laying on my side I'll use the home button but if I'm using both hands I'll usually use multitouch gestures. It's convinient when I'm working on multiple things with multiple apps to swipe left or right with 4 fingers.

22. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I love the gestures to go back to the home screen. It's just so much faster and more intuitive than reaching down for the home button.

I wish there were gestures for Safari (like three-finger swipe to go 'back' and 'forward'), instead of having to reach up to the back/forward arrows on the top left corner.

23. jagolden macrumors 6502

jagolden

I've trained myself to use the pinch and wipe to access home page/multitasking. Only took a couple of days to get used to it. Since the fingers are generally on the screen anyway, I findit faster and more fluid. Using an iPad2.