Votes: 46 54.1%
  • No

Votes: 39 45.9%

• Total voters

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
Personally I have it hidden. I find it much faster to type everything out, rather than using QuickType.

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
I tried a few times but I've given up. It's just not as fast. I can type pretty fast and it's takes very little thought. Looking for the correct word or dropping down to type it if it isn't suggested makes me much slower. I think they should spend their time on autocorrect rather than prediction.

kwjohns

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2007
Personally I have it hidden. I find it much faster to type everything out, rather than using QuickType.
I have yet to find any benefit to QuickType. If I "pay attention to it" to look for words I'm wanting to use, I end up typing a lot slower.

Many times, the word I'm typing will have a different suffix to the words it's offering me, so by the time I get to the suffix, the usefulness is lost.

And I don't know if this is QuickType or just that autocorrection has changed, but I find autocorrection has become more annoying in iOS 8.

Wrong Turn

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2013
Would if i could, but i am apparently not part of the important population, same goes for Siri. :(
But hey, at least i have dictation now...

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
I've gotten used to these types of keyboard add-ons thanks to SwiftKey and Google Keyboard. I have it on the iPad but since that thing's so big to type on I haven't bothered to try it.

On Android half the time I hardly even use the suggestions. Rather, I type very fast on my phone and both Google Keyboard and SwiftKey are pretty good at autocompleting my sentences.

AbSoluTc

macrumors 601
Sep 21, 2008
I have it minimized. I tried it, too slow. It's faster for me to type out the words and go. The suggestions are still learning I think but getting better. I also don't like how autocorrect seems to be taking over perfectly fine words.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
I tried a few times but I've given up. It's just not as fast. I can type pretty fast and it's takes very little thought. Looking for the correct word or dropping down to type it if it isn't suggested makes me much slower. I think they should spend their time on autocorrect rather than prediction.
Exactly. Typing out the text is just faster than looking for the phrase with QuickType.

I'd be curious to see how someone who's never used the iPhone's keyboard thinks about it.

recklesslife85

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Wales, UK
Na it's crap and takes up more screen. Be better on a bigger iphone. I'll be using Swiftkey anyways when it's out, makes life so much better on android and will be the same on iOS.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
I'm sure it will be more refined when the iOS 8 GM is released.

It also takes up quite a lot of space, on the iPhone 6 it will be much better.

dof250

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2014
Well... I wouldn't be to certain that it will be better on iPhone 6. It may have a larger screen with higher resolution, but iOS8 is just scaling. So everything will be bigger and will take up exact the same percentage of the screen as on the iPhone 5s

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
I'v disabled it. I am more excited about the custom keyboards as those seem quite a bit faster.

Agreed.

I think installing 3rd party keyboard is the most exciting thing about iOS 8.

Now I wish swiftkey or fleksy would release their keyboards already.

KALLT

macrumors 601
Sep 23, 2008
Does anyone know whether it supports multiple languages at a time? Currently you have to switch languages manually every time. It would be neat if the keyboard could dynamically pick the right language from the context in which it is written.

BlackBerry nailed that one, I want it on iPhone too! :)

Tammster

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
S Florida USA
I'm getting better at estimating what types of words would be available. For example, if Im going to type "I'll see you next Saturday", most of those words will be options, and I can probably just type the S for Saturday and it will give me that as an option. Other times there's no way it will find it.

I definitely think it is easier the more I use it.