Do You Use Reachability? (6 and 6 Plus Poll)

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by mastercheif91, Sep 20, 2014.

?

Do You Use Reachability?

1. Yes, I use it on my iPhone 6

91 vote(s)
    35.3%
  2. No, I don't use it on my iPhone 6

62 vote(s)
    24.0%
  3. Yes, I use it on my iPhone 6 Plus

59 vote(s)
    22.9%
  4. No, I don't use it on my iPhone 6 Plus

46 vote(s)
    17.8%
  1. mastercheif91 macrumors regular

So new phone owners, have you found yourself actually using reachability? Are the 6 Plus users taking advantage of it more? What apps do you find it most useful in? Let's talk all things Reachability!

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i didn't until i found myself needing to reach the top of the screen while eating today. fork in one hand, phone in the other, reachability was quite useful.

3. clubtech macrumors member

4. TheBacklash macrumors 6502

TheBacklash

used it once or twice demoing it.
    haven't really used it out side that on my iPhone 6.

But I find myself resting the iPhone on my fingers, and not in my palm and I can reach every part of my screen.
    I have a Spigen tough armor case for it and my pointer finger rests in the cutout for the apple logo. Or just go two handed mode... ;)

5. kevroc macrumors 6502

Yes, it's extremely useful on the 6 plus.

6. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

i think i used it twice just for giggles, but i can definitely see where it would come in handy.

7. mastercheif91 thread starter macrumors regular

Since the advent of the swipe to go back gesture, using the top of the screen for navigation has become much less prevalent in the last year, thus making reachability less of necessity than it could have been. In my usage case, my #1 cause for invoking reachability is actually notification center. I don't know if Apple advertised this or not, but you can access the notification center pane by swiping down on the blank space that appears above the icons on the home screen/your app. Super useful, if a bit non-obvious.

8. Tammster macrumors 6502

Tammster

I actually use it a lot on my 6 as I use my phone one handed most of the time. It's getting to the point where I do it automatically.

Some apps do offer swipe gestures but that's not always available. For example, for simple things like reaching the top apps on the homepage it works great.

9. mastercheif91 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm finding Reachability very useful on my football Sunday. Let's me keep my beer in my left hand and my fantasy scores in my right! :D

10. sjperformance macrumors 6502

Not really. Used it 2-3 times to try it on the 6. I barely see myself using it. On a 6+ it seems more likely

11. bgro macrumors 6502a

Using it all the time on the Plus. Very useful when using one handed

12. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

I've used it a few times on my 6 Plus but I've found that I usually don't need it. Using this thing one handed hasn't been a problem for me at all.

13. mastercheif91 thread starter macrumors regular

Where did you play your basketball?

14. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

I'm six one and one sixty five.

15. Jayson A macrumors 68000

I had no idea this feature existed! Was this advertised somewhere?

Anyway, that's really cool! I might be using this when I'm one handed and I can't adjust my grip well enough.

16. mastercheif91 thread starter macrumors regular

I guess I should add a "I had no idea this feature existed!" option to the poll too :p

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

Talked about in the keynote. I'm sure mentioned in various other places too.

18. wp-admin macrumors newbie

I think like everything, you have to train yourself to use it. I think it's pretty cool if I remember to do it versus raising my other hand to tap whatever I want ha ha.

19. mastercheif91, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014

mastercheif91 thread starter macrumors regular

Not exactly related to "reachability", but I just discovered another shortcut that might help one avoid pull their thumb muscles via hyperextension. In notification center, instead of having to hit the "Today" and "Notifications" buttons, you can just swipe to the right or left respectively and have it switch tabs. Apologies if anyone was already aware of this navigation device already, but I only just stumbled upon it and I'm sure it'll be even more useful on the new generation iPhones.

20. mayhemburzum macrumors member

Sorry, but I have a 5.5inch device as well and no problems reaching the top of the screen properly. And I'm 5.6.

21. Aniseedvan macrumors 65816

I probably should but I used my iphone5 in two hands so I'm already used to that anyway...

22. mastercheif91 thread starter macrumors regular

Holding my iPad mini in one hand today, thought to myself "Damn, why isn't double tapping on the home button doing anything!". I would even take a triple press to reachability on the iPad, it's better than not having it at all...

23. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

I wish that they could make it more like a swipe gesture on the button itself. Swipe down to have the screen slide down, swipe right to have it move right, etc. Sometimes on my Plus I have to reach something way on the other side (and I only have one hand available) and my thumb just can't quite make it, especially comfortably or without causing the grip on my phone to loosen considerably.

24. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

Eat more and hit the gym.

25. C DM macrumors Westmere

Something they introduced back in iOS 7 actually. Certainly useful, although can be a bit trickier in iOS 8 now that swiping on notifications in different directions does a bit more than it used to.