Do you use reminders?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jcorbin, Oct 31, 2011.

1. jcorbin macrumors 6502a

I thought i would use reminders like crazy. but i find myself using a third party app like i used to. its just not very robust

does anyone use reminders a lot? what do you use it for?

i made a list for home, gift ideas, and groceries.
    didn't really work well for gift ideas or groceries

2. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

I use Reminders for a general to-do list and for a grocery list (the latter which I "share" with my wife, meaning we can both add things to it as we think of them). Works well for me.

3. RipsMctits macrumors regular

I use them all the time. From reminding me to take my medication in the morning to reminding me to leave for class. I mostly use it to set little reminders throughout the day. I will be using it a lot more once I get my 4S and have Siri to do it for me.

4. mstrze macrumors 68000

I would imagine that Siri reminders might get robust enough that I would use them more. For example, I'd love to see a reminder that we need eggs when I am at or perhaps even near a grocery store.

I used a reminder last week to send pics to a friend when I got home, but haven't since.

5. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I use Grocery IQ for my grocery list, but I use a reminder to tell me to go to the grocery store when I leave work :)

Siri will make reminders more useful for me, my 4S is still 2-3 weeks out :p

6. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

I will probably never use reminders. I used to always just use the notes app. We'll see though.

7. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

the notes app is also really simple. its good for quickly jotting something down. but with no sorting or creating separate notepads its not robust enough

8. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

I use reminders via Siri all the time now. I find them very useful.

If I happen to read an ad, flyer, or whatever regarding some event it is so easy to tell Siri to remind whenever it is, or before. My default reminders list is Reminders so all ad hoc stuff goes in there. Or any quick reminder like that too. Works great.

I also have started using it more and more for shopping lists. For instance I have a Groceries reminder list. If I tell Siri "Add coffee to my Groceries list" she will add it to that list. Ditto for other lists.

I also use location reminders. Just yesterday, since I knew I would be going to the grocery store, I said "when I arrive at Smith's Supermarket remind me to pickup red box movie" and it went off just as I got there.

What I have done for some locations is add a second address, with a custom label: GPS Address, added by adding my current location to the contact while I am at it. Sometimes I find the GPS location for a given home or business is not exactly at the listed address. Even my own home. The GPS part works fine, as I can see it in sat view in Maps. But Maps "thinks" the street address for my home is two houses down. Ergo if I created a "when I leave home" reminder it would go off when I passed the house two houses down--IF I went that way (If I went the other way it would not go off). But by having a GPS address and choosing to use that one as my "home" reminders like that work fine now. We really need a GPS coordinates field in contacts that would take precedence over the listed street address IMO.

Michael

9. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Until I can manage my Reminders from my Mac, I'll stick with Wunderlist.

It's more powerful anyway.

10. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

I don't use them like I was hoping I would. I need to be able to set events for a day but not a time since I primarily do it with homework. I don't need a reminder but I do need to know what day they are due.

11. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

For the record I take the iOS Reminders app at face value. I don't use it as a task manager, to-do list organizer, etc. I use it for, well, reminders. For that it works very well.

Michael

12. xplnusa macrumors regular

I've tried to use it for reminding me to do something when I arrive at work or home, or when I leave. But the GeoFence thing doesn't work for crap from my experience so far. Out of the 4 or 5 times I've tried, its worked once..

13. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Reminders with siri I use all the time. Reminders in the beta with text only I never used same for iPad 2 now.

14. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

When you are at work, or someplace else that doesn't work, go to Maps and have it locate you. What address is it? If it does not match your work address that is why.

Michael

15. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Location based reminders have been a godsend for me.

16. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

A big AOL "me too" to that one. :)

Michael

17. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I use them daily for a wide variety of reasons.

18. gerelee macrumors newbie

maybe i'm missing something but i don't see a place to put the location and i'm not talking about the reminder going off when i leave or arrive .. i mean the location of the place where i'm going and need to be reminded about.

19. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

One thing about location based reminders though: if there are any at all that have not been marked as completed, even old ones, the iPhone will continue to run the GPS constantly so battery life can be affected. I try to mark them off ASAP but really wish that that we could mark them as done as when dismissing them.

Michael

20. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

21. gerelee macrumors newbie

siri-ously awesome? ;)

22. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

^^ this

Also, I use reminders for short term thing due the same day. If I need to return a call or something that can be done quickly.

If it's something that is going to take more than a few moments, I book a calendar appointment. It's a matter of personal time management style really. All tasks are really calendar appointments. Even a quick call to Joe may be associated with an expected time of the day. However, simple things like taking out the trash can be set with a basic reminder and not require a block of time to do.

Take out trash
    Leave for airport
    Call xxxx back
    Email xxx a thought, etc. Are all pretty easy things to use them for.

I use grocery iq to setup lists for ALL types of stores. Dropping Red Box movies off is an item on my grocery list even.

Yeah....I'm anal retentive. :)

23. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Of course.

24. Jimbo47, Oct 31, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011

Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

How do you do this? Everytime I say a name of a business or store that is listed on maps she just says "I don't understand what you mean by "When I arrive at Target"

Edit: Nevermind. I just saw somebody made a thread about this.

25. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a