Do you use screen protector on 5s?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by gaanee, Jan 15, 2014.

1. gaanee macrumors 6502a

Do you use screen protector on 5s?
    iPhone 5/5s uses gorilla glass which claims to be the toughest, so what is the need for a screen protector?

2. bigjim83 macrumors 6502

I do. I am always super careful with my phones. Never keep anything in the same pocket with my phone and I've noticed some very very light hair line scratches. Very frustrating so I picked up a tempered glass SP

3. gaanee thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. Amplelink macrumors 6502a

Yes. The problem is that the glass has an oleophobic coating on top to fend off fingerprints. It's that coating that can get visibly scratched, not the glass itself.

Having said that, as long as you're careful with your phone, you should be fine without a screen protector.

5. gaanee thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am usually very careful not to keep iphone with keys or other items. But I do keep on table, so my concern is about that, does the glass get scratched?
    If you put a tempered glass screen protector on top then doesn't doesn't it defeat the purpose of oleophobic coating?

6. bigjim83 macrumors 6502

Most of the glass screen protectors come with that coating as well

7. gaanee thread starter macrumors 6502a

How is the scratch resistance of iPhone front glass for daily use, like I mentioned just keeping on the table?

8. I7guy macrumors G5

9. Ta0jin macrumors 6502a

It is tough and it resists most scratches but it isn't scratch-proof. What it comes down to is if your ok with the possibility of your screen getting scratched in some way then go naked, but if the thought of your screen getting scratched bothers you then get a screen protector.

10. takeshi74, Jan 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014

takeshi74 macrumors 601

Yes.

Gorilla glass is scratch resistant but it is not unscratchable. This is covered in countless screen protector threads.

All it takes is sand or other grit that is harder than the screen material to cause scratches. "Being careful" can help mitigate but it is not a guarantee.

"Daily use" varies from person to person. Some get scratches. Some do not. You can't rely on the daily use of others. You need to decide based on how averse you are to scratches and what measures you're willing to take. Again, all this has been rehashed many times in prior screen protector threads.

While only the coating is scratched in some cases the glass itself can be scratched as well. Any material harder than another material can scratch the other material. Gorilla Glass is not the hardest material in the world. IIRC it's somewhere around 6 or 7 on the Mohs scale.

11. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

no i do not but I'm sure to not keep anything in my pocket with my phone, and my phone is always faced towards my body while in my pocket.