Do you use Skype on a regular basis? Does the macbook get hot while doing so?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Avi, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Avi macrumors member

Hi guys!

I use Skype on my Alu Unibody Macbook on a regular basis, and with the Videochat on, my macbook runs at about 65-70 degC. Its not very comfortable to have the macbook on my lap at that temp, do anyone of you notice such issues?

Further, is there a fix for this issue? :D

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Apple's notebooks get hot and Skype is rather processor intensive.

Countless threads on the subject of temperature.

3. Avi thread starter macrumors member

my macbook runs normally at 50 degC with other apps like Firefox, itunes etc ... but with Skype it goes to 70 degC!

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Like I said before Skype is processor intensive. It's going to raise the temperature.

5. Kat King123 macrumors regular

Kat King123

yea usually around 70-90% cpu usage when making a call wish some of my friends would get mac cause ichat is so much easier/efficient :rolleyes:

6. Avi thread starter macrumors member

I wish there will be a fix for this :rolleyes: ... just voice chat w/o the isight being on makes the mac cooler ... but the cam turns up the heat.

Is there any other messenger for mac and windows that has a video quality like Skype but not as processor intensive? I use Yahoo on and off but it does not have the video quality skype has.

7. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

Try the video capabilities of google gmail/gtalk chat...you have to install a small browser add-on.

Cheers.

-J.-

8. Avi thread starter macrumors member

what about ooVoo ? Did any of you give it a try? A google search for cross-platform lead me to it, but it too looks pretty processor intensive.

9. EMKarelia macrumors regular

EMKarelia

Skype is a really really great tool! I use it everyday working on projects and talking to prospects. Your mac will get hot whenever lots of windows or big programs are running. Don't worry about it. Just had the Fan Control working. :eek:

10. Avi thread starter macrumors member

Doh! I have SMCfancontrol installed but rarely use it :D ... does setting the fan to a higher RPM for about 1-2 hrs during which I use Skype effect the fans on my macbook? Do ppl do that on a regular basis? (Set fans to a HigherRPM that is)