Do you use skype?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jhawk2, Jun 18, 2008.

1. jhawk2 macrumors member

jhawk2

Do you use skype? What are your experiences with it? I personally love it!

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i use it for the voice chat, which is the most reliable and better sounding out of the other services that i have tried.

3. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yep, I use it, it's a great app. Great quality and the cost is right too! :cool:

4. jhawk2 thread starter macrumors member

jhawk2

Yeah I love the cost! Although there is a program called oovoo that you can call landline phones and cellphones for free! Plus the voip!:D

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I use it all the time - only reason I still have my BT landline is because my SKY subscription requires it… don't know why though.

6. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

I use it for free calls, and WoW stuff.. Just got it and I like it. :)

7. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Heck yes! I call my fiancée in London using Skype. Costs me almost nothing. I can even do it through my mobile phone. I also set up an incoming phone number using Skype so when I am overseas people can call me without having to pay international rates. Skype is a lifesaver.

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

The site says the Mac version does not include free phone calls

[​IMG]

9. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

I use Skype for very reliable video chat. MSN is common in the UK and we know the story there. It also works where iChat has failed.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I use Skype; signed up for unlimited first day, then switched Unlimited World the day they came out with that; now the family can make unlimited calls to relatives in China very very cheaply.

Very fun conference calling with 10 people around the world!

11. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

I never realized the power and inexpensiveness of Skype until I got a MacBook Pro for myself to take overseas. I spent $8.00 on calls in Asia over three weeks that at&t would've otherwise charged me $1000. The video chat is also great and my parents loved using it. The video is much better than iChat in my experience.

I can't wait to put it on my iPhone.

12. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I have hardware Skype/landline phones which I find very handy (even more so with SkypeIn), although a lot of the VOIP that we do is through our telephone exchange. Most of my impromptu video chat takes place on iChat though due to the sort of people I video chat with. However actual videoconferencing is handled through standalone HD systems, as I find Skype, iChat etc very counterproductive for meaningful video-based discussions.

13. jhawk2 thread starter macrumors member

jhawk2

Awesome! Now all it needs is a camera built in............

14. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

By the way, does Skype seem to have better video than iChat for you? I've never really used videoconferencing until I bought this MacBook Pro, and when I went to Asia last month, I started to use iChat, but later switched to Skype. Could it be the odd internet connections I used? On some connections, iChat didn't seem that bad, but on most of them, there was this constant whistling noise and pixelation.

15. a104375 macrumors 6502

a104375

I actually use skype quite regularly, I cant wait until there is a good app for free calling with voip that I can get for my iPod Touch...as I'm near wifi almost all the time and using my cell phone less is always a plus!

16. jhawk2 thread starter macrumors member

jhawk2

Yeah Pretty soon the whole world will have wifi! Then kiss the cellphones bye-bye. Lol Kinda scary to think that everything is connected.....

17. kabunaru Guest

No, I don't. I would like to try it, though.